Nervous about your upcoming Digital Marketing interview? Fear no more! we are there to help you. One of the hottest fields to rise up in the online space, digital marketing is a lucrative career option for youngsters who are looking to create a locationally independent and highly creative career for themselves. Online Marketing Agencies, internet startups, banks, and various other companies are hiring for digital marketing professionals in recent times, offering creative services to small businesses as well as top corporations. The opportunities are endless.
If you wish to make a career in this field, you will have to go through a selection process where digital marketing interview questions will be asked at each point. Companies are eager to keep up with the shift from offline to online marketing today.
Digital Marketing has taken the marketing industry by storm and has secured its place as not just a top strategy, but a full-fledged function demanding the largest budgets and constant spotlight in many organizations – especially those looking to keep up with the pace of change and stay competitive.
Given Digital Marketing’s continuous evolution, firms are seeking creative, intelligent, bold and tech-savvy geeks to take on the role of Digital Marketers. Digital Marketing is a broad field and has different job roles or sub-components to it, including Digital Marketing Executive / Managers, Social Media Managers, Content Managers, Paid Marketers, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing Managers, etc
Therefore, we have kept in mind that according to the company and role you are applying to, you could be tested on the overall gist of Digital Marketing or directed towards one of the specific roles listed above.
We have classified this post in 5 broad sections
- Digital Marketing Interview Questions & Answers
- SEO Interview Questions & Answers
- SEM Interview Questions & Answers
- Social Media Interview Questions & Answers
Digital Marketing Interview Questions
Whether you are experienced in the field or a raw graduate hoping to be employed, the following interview questions for digital marketing range from being generically personal to more technically focused towards specific facets of Digital Marketing. We’ve tried to cover a lot and yet be brief. We hope you find this useful and it helps to calm your nerves a bit!
Q1. What is Digital Marketing according to you and why are you interested in pursuing a career in it?
A1. Be honest & excited about the company you have applied to. Express the reasons why you are keen on Digital Marketing and the challenges you are looking forward to facing. Some of the answers reasons can be –
- You are inclined towards marketing & technology, and digital marketing gives you that opportunity to explore both.
- Digital Marketing has a great scope in the present & future, and that is why you want to pursue a career in it.
- Digital Marketing is a field which is evolving rapidly, and you want to have a career which has such fast-paced changes, as you enjoy it.
Q2. How would you categorize Digital Marketing?
A2. The 2 main categories of Digital Marketing: Inbound – utilizing multiple platforms to make customers aware of the company’s doing. Outbound – reaching out to potential clients.
Q3. What are the most efficient and useful Digital Marketing tools?
A3. If you are a beginner but have done a course in digital marketing, you will know some of the common tools like Keyword Planner, Search Console, Google Analytics, etc. This question is also asked for Advanced Digital Marketing Interview and therefore it is good to be aware of some of the common digital marketing tools used by the industry professionals.
Q4. Why do you believe that online marketing will be more beneficial to our company compared to offline marketing?
A4. This is a common question that is asked to beginners who are keen to enter the world of Internet Marketing. Since the most common statement they make in every interview is that “I am interested in Marketing”, the interview definitely wants to understand then why online marketing. The answer to this one can be subjective and you can have your own reasons and preferences, here is our advice.
- Talk about the constant technological changes & developments happening.
- How online marketing platforms have eased the path of reaching out to a larger audience.
- There is a higher capacity to reach out to a larger audience, the relevant audience at a reasonable cost.
- A better scope to analyze the performance; online marketing gives a quick analysis of the tasks done, amount spent and the ROI. This helps you grow and understand business and customers faster and better.
- Digital Marketing is now used by a small and medium-sized business as well, so there are ample job opportunities.
Q5. Do you believe that there are limitations or challenges to Digital Marketing and how would you overcome these?
A5. Online marketing is dominant in today’s time, but offline marketing was also successful for a reason and appealed to earlier generations. Do not be completely biased towards the online world.
Q6. What are the differences between Digital Marketing and Branding?
A6. Keep all points clear, and try to avoid any kind of overlapping.
Digital Marketing – Communicates a specific, desired message to a target audience.
Branding – Advertises or projects the overall brand (what the company stands for, etc) to attract a wider audience.
Q7. What is your strategy to improve our current business through Digital Marketing?
A7. Do not be quick to spill out a plan or strategy. It will be advisable to understand the business well in advance, analyze the competitor, identify the strengths and list down the opportunities. Take the maximum input from the interviewer, and note down the pain points. Take considerable time from the interviewer to draft a strategy around these segments. Most of the times, an answer to this can turn the tables, ie a smart strategy is a job guarantee, so plan it properly.
SEO Interview Questions
Q1. What is the difference between On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO?
A1. On-page SEO activities are used to regulate website traffic through page changes. Task such as improving websites structure, inter-linking, page load time, title tag, meta description are some examples of On-Page Optimization activities.
Off-page SEO activities are jobs done to improve the website presence and visibility on the internet. Task such as creating contextual backlinks, social media marketing (likes/shares), guest blogging, questions & answers websites (quora), etc. SEO is all about ‘indicating relevance’.
Q2. How do you plan on optimizing our site ranking and increase the traffic on our website?
A2. You should brief the interviewer on your plan to enhance the user experience and engagement and how it will boost the conversion rates. This is similar to the strategy question asked during a Digital Marketing Interview, but this will cover only the organic ranking segment of it. You could also mention the mistakes to avoid in the process of optimizing a website.
Q3. How to do Keyword Analysis? What keywords would you pick?
A3. This is an expected question for every SEO Interview. The interviewer will definitely want to understand your stand on how to do keyword analysis. It is important since most of your work will depend on it. Some of these points should be considered while answering this question:
• Do mention about keyword planner tool to find the right keywords and their search volumes.
• Do not pick up keyword’s basis their search volume, understand the competition level and the relevancy aspect as well. For e.g. for a client in South Delhi who is running a veg restaurant, a keyword like “Restaurants in Delhi” is relevant and may have a high search volume as well. But a keyword like “Veg Restaurant in South Delhi” will win on relevance and may be lower in competition as well. So, these types of keywords will be quick and easy wins.
Q4. What tools do you use for Keyword Analysis?
A4. There is a long list of tools that will help you with keyword analysis. We have classified them in 2 sections – Free Tools & Paid Tools.
Free Tools – Keyword Planner Tool, Google Autosuggest, Google Trends, Search Console.
Paid Tools – Ahrefs, SEMRush, MOZ.
Most of the free tools are from Google and are pretty much reliable.
These are some common SEO Questions. Click here to read our complete SEO interview questions and answers
SEM/PPC Interview Questions
Q1. What is PPC (Pay-Per-Click)? What ways would you make PPC more effective?
A1. PPC stands for pay-per-click, an internet marketing model where advertisers pay a fee each time anyone clicks on their ads. Some of the common abbreviations used for Search Engine Marketing are PPC (pay per click), CPC (cost per click), and CPM (cost per million impressions), CPA (cost per acquisition), CR (conversion ratio), etc.
On ways of how to make PPC effective, focus on optimizing the use of keywords, ad groups, reducing costs, improving quality score and the addition of negative keywords.
Consistent account review and analysis is an important aspect of SEM campaign. PPC Analyst must focus on Ads and Keywords that perform well in terms of ROI. That is one of the common objectives of running a PPC campaign unless you are doing it for Branding. Read more about Google AdWords interview questions.
Q2. What is Quality Score? Which 3 factors determine Quality Score?
A2. Quality Score is the quality evaluation of your ads, keywords, and landing pages. Better quality ads can result in lower cost and better ad positions. Quality Score is used to determine CPC and multiplied by the maximum bid to determine the ad rank in an ad auction process.
The 3 factors that influence quality score are
- Landing Page Experience
- Expected CTR
- Ad Relevance
Q3. How does Google determine the Ad Rank?
A3. AdRank decides the order in which competing ads should be ranked on the Search Engine Result Page. The formula to calculate Ad Rank is CPC Bid multiplied by Quality Score. Therefore if the Quality Score is high, the Ad will rank better even with a lower CPC.
Q4. How many ads should be implemented per ad group?
A4. AdRank decides the order in which competing ads should be ranked on the Search Engine
Q5. Which are the 3 required parts of a text ad?
A5. Every Text Ad has 3 parts: Headline Text, a Display URL, and Description Text.
These are some of the basic SEM Interview Questions & Answers listed. You can find a list of 70+ Advanced SEM / PPC Interview Questions.
Social Media Interview Questions
Q1. Why is social media important for a business and what are the most successful social media platforms according to you?
A1. Companies are already aware of the importance of social media marketing. Thus, guide them on the most appropriate platforms that will help them achieve their goals and expand their audience.
Q2. What successful social media campaign you have run from beginning to end?
A2. As a Social Media Specialist, you will be responsible for planning and executing campaigns, so you must provide some insight into the social media campaign you managed and what was your approach. Smart candidates should be able to articulate the issues they experienced and how they handled them.
In terms of their approach, what were the goals, what methods were used to achieve the goals and how they measured their outcome? It is not mandatory that the campaign was a huge success, as far as the approach was correct.
Q3. What is content marketing and how do you decide on what content to publish?
A3. Be creative with how you would share the insights of the brand and what are the best ways to publish them. Also, talk about how content educates and adds value to its audience; invariably nurturing them to become full-time paying customers.
Q4. Where do you see yourself 5 years down the line? (with respect to Digital Marketing Career)
A4. Convince the interviewer that you are committed to the stream of Digital Marketing, you have a passion for it, you have a long term vision for it and most importantly, you are eager to learn more.
Remember to prepare for these questions from a personal perspective, with a touch of creativity and heaps of confidence. Digital Marketing has become extremely dominant in the industry, which makes it more competitive to secure a job in. Therefore, in order to stand out of the crowd make sure that –
- You are extremely passionate, have some experience and knowledgeable in the field of Digital Marketing.
- You have a holistic resume and updated Linkedin profile.
- Your social media feeds are buzzing and working on increasing their audience.
In your Digital Marketing interview, be sure to compliment or appreciate some of the work of the company that may have stood out for you or why you would want to work for them. Ensure that you have done ample research on the company, but at the same time, don’t be afraid to criticize their current marketing strategies or highlight areas for improvement. If they were perfect, they would not need you!
If you wish to become a Digital Marketer then checkout upGrad and MICA’s PG Certification in Digital Marketing & Communication
Share your own experiences and any other questions that you may have faced in some Digital Marketing interview. Also, please feel free to reach out to us in case you are interested in career counseling.
All the best with that Digital Marketing interview!
What are the popular types of digital marketing strategies?
Digital marketing is broadly broken into five categories, they include:
1. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): SEO is a key digital marketing strategy that helps in improving page ranking in Google SERP organically
2. Social Media Marketing (SMM): SMM includes the function of promotion of business and brands via different social media channels.
3. Pay-per-click (PPC): PPC is paid advertisement, where you promote your website to the top of SERP through paid advertisement.
4. Content Marketing: It involves the creation and sharing of content (blogs, infographics, video) through different social media channels to stimulate the interest of users in the products and services.
5. Mobile Marketing: It focuses on reaching out to users on their mobiles, smartphones, and tablets through SMS, social media, website, videos, apps, etc.
What are the 5Ds in digital marketing?
The 5 Ds in digital marketing includes:
1. Digital Device: It mentions the types of devices on which you can target an audience.
2. Digital Platform: It talks about the digital platforms on which you can create your brand’s digital identity.
3.Digital Media: It refers to communication channels using which you build engagement with the target audience.
4. Digital Data: It consists of the engagement patterns and audience profiles of businesses to build interactive experiences across different digital platforms.
5. Digital Technology: It encourages brands to embrace modern technologies to attract potential customers
What are the top 5 Cs in digital marketing?
The top 5 Cs in digital marketing includes:
1. Content: Your content should be strong and be able to keep customers engaged and should bring organic traffic.
2. Creativity: Your content should be creative enough to stimulate the interest of users in the product and services.
3. Consistency: You should be able to establish a schedule for all your content posting to maintain consistency.
4. Communication: Communication is an integral and fundamental aspect of digital marketing. Your marketing communication should be effective and be able to communicate exactly what is desired by the brand.
5. Client customization: Last, but very important. You should offer client level customisation and create a tailor-made digital marketing plan that perfectly fits their needs.