The digital marketing industry is searing hot with opportunities right now as every company and individual seeks to leave a digital impact on the humongous worldwide web. Online spaces have become effective branding, advertising, and marketing platforms, and simultaneously, the need for ninjas who can navigate this space is also on the rise.
If you are a part or wish to be a part of this fast-paced, creative, and challenging industry, then read on to know the best job roles in digital marketing and the salary trends.
Digital Marketing Job Roles
1) Digital Marketing Manager
Digital marketing managers in IT firms, Internet Companies & Digital Marketing Agencies receive the highest compensation out of all digital marketing managers in other industries. This position requires a higher level of experience, with strong knowledge in digital marketing to appropriately mentor and manage people, and also to lead them well. This job comes with a good amount of experience at various levels like Digital Marketing Lead, Assistant Manager DM.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Role & Skills
A DM Manager should be an expert at managing various online marketing functions like SEM, PPC, SEO, Content Marketing and Email Promotions. These are some of the mandatory skills required to be a digital marketing professional and is a core of the job role. Mentioned below is the list of activities done by the manager on a regular/daily basis.
• Planning, Organising & Executing digital marketing campaigns.
• Managing Paid Marketing Campaigns, budgeting & spends on a monthly/quarterly basis.
• Good understanding of SEO, targeting areas with high search volume and optimum conversion ratio.
• Executive Social Media Campaign, Organic as well as Paid.
• DM Manager should be an expert in Performance Marketing.
• Measure performance on all digital marketing platforms and analyze against goals (ROI and KPIs).
• Discover market trends and insights, and optimize budget and performance based on the insights.
• DM Manager should be presentable, well-spoken, marketing specialist and should be updated with the current marketing trends. He should be an expert with numbers, with a good business understanding.
Digital Marketing Manager Salaries in India
The average salary for a Digital Marketing Manager is Rupees 8,09,777 in India. This is for a candidate with 4 – 8 years range of experience. Some other factors like Industry, Qualification, Digital Marketing Certification and City of residence play an important part in deciding the salary.
The salary range of a DM Manager is between 4,00,000 to 18,00,000. As mentioned earlier, there are various factors which influence the salary of an individual. For example, the salary of an individual in Tier 1 city like Mumbai is higher compared to a person with similar skills but in a Tier 2 city.
- Source – Naukri, Payscale, Glassdoor
2) Pay Per Click Analyst
PPC Analyst or some define it as SEM Analyst, is one of the in-demand jobs for online marketing. Someone who can demonstrate the ability to reap profits equal to or greater than the investment will be quickly hired by the company. This is because after getting results organically, companies want to push their boundaries and try out paid advertising. An individual with a thorough knowledge of campaign creation and the psychology behind consumer clicks can easily get the job he/she wants and with the desired salary.
PPC Analyst Job Role & Skills
• A PPC Executive must have strong technical & analytical skills.
• He / She is responsible for managing Paid Ad Campaigns on Google Ads – Search & Display, Bing & other Ad Networks.
• PPC specialist must also manage advertisement campaigns on Facebook, Linkedin, Quora & other Social Media Networks.
• The core job involves maintenance of keyword bids, monitoring daily & monthly budget and improving quality score
• Along with the above skills, the candidate with knowledge of using analytics tools like Google Analytics or other reporting tools is preferred.
PPC/SEM Analyst Salaries in India
The average salary for a PPC Analyst / PPC Executive is approx Rupees 2,50,000 in India. This is for a candidate with around 1 year of experience. Freshers who have a good understanding of PPC, or someone who has completed a few months of internship, can also draw a similar pay package.
As the PPC Analyst grows in experience and knowledge, salaries can grow up to Rupees 6,00,000. The next level is a Team Leader or an Assistant Manager. There is a huge demand for efficient SEM/PPC professional since it involves budget management. Many of the digital platforms moving towards monetization, if you are smart enough to manage Pay Per Click well, the sky is the limit.
- Source – Naukri, Payscale, Glassdoor
3) SEO Specialist
No matter the new digital marketing tactics that spring up, SEO will forever be the evergreen one. A mix of customer-driven search engine optimization and subtle but intentional marketing, Search Engine Optimization is the best way to rope in sustainable, long-term and high converting traffic. You need experience with SEO tools like SEMrush, Google Analytics, Search Console, among others. It is one of the best roles to be specialized in.
Individually, salaries depend mostly on experience and knowledge. For a beginner, the salary may be on an average scale, but with a better understanding of the subject, the payscale just keeps rising. As a digital marketer, you will be versed in a number of skills which means you will be paid for all of them.
SEO Analyst/Executive Job Role & Skills
• Search Engine Analyst must have a good understanding of Ranking Algorithms.
• He/She is must be proficient with Technical SEO.
• Improving user experience and complying with Search Engine Guidelines.
• Identifying the most appropriate keywords for the business, and creating informational content around those keywords is a part of the job.
• Understanding of various optimization tools like Search Console, Ahrefs, SEMRush and Similarweb is important. Analytical tools for performance measurement like Google Analytics, Omniture or Comscore is an added advantage.
SEO Analyst / Specialist Salaries in India
Compared to a PPC Analyst, the salary of SEO fresher is on the lower side. But this is only limited to the start of the career. The average salary for a Search Engine Optimization Executive is approx Rupees 2,20,000 in India. This is for someone with 1 – 2 years of experience range. SEO Interns are paid around 15,000 per month in cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, or Pune.
- Source – Payscale
Similar to a PPC Analyst, with the grows in skills, salaries can grow up to Rupees 8,00,000. This is for a Manager level professional, with a good sense of Organic Growth. SEO professional with has proved extraordinary growth for the business is drawing a salary of 15,00,000+. The demand for SEO professionals is lower compared to PPC. This is because the majority of SEOs work to optimize the rankings on Google, whereas PPC expert is working on several other platforms like Linkedin, Facebook or Insta.
4) Social Media Marketing
Social Media is how people primarily interact with each other nowadays. Hence, even before building a website or an app, brands start creating a strong social media presence. In fact, many times it is the social media that is driving the business and is followed by a website for an online presence. To drive traffic to their pages and keep the engagement up, organizations hire social media marketers who are well-versed with the gamut of social media. If you have expertise in a specific platform, you can leverage that niche knowledge to your advantage, too. Social Media Marketing also requires knowledge of various SMM Tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, Buzzsumo to name a few.
Salaries depend on the kind of output you can generate. Social Media Professionals directly interact with their users or customers, so they have to enthusiastic, positive and some cases a good sense of humor works very well. Beginner with these traits can quickly find a place in Social Media Marketing. Experience does matter but it is your enthusiasm that influences your career growth chart.
Social Media Analyst/Executive Job Role & Skills
• Social Media Executive must curate relevant & engaging content to reach the target audience.
• Design, create and execute campaigns on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
• Social Media Analyst is the face of the organization on Social Media Platforms.
• The job involves engaging in dialogues & answering queries when required.
• Implementation of a proactive strategy for capturing customer online reviews and ratings.
• Monitor trends in Social Media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
Social Media Executive / Specialist Salaries in India
Salary of Social Media Executive in most cases is on par or higher compared to that of PPC Executive. For a Social Media Fresher or less than 3 years experience the average salary range is Rupees 1,50,000 to 3,50,000 in India. The highest salary for an executive is around 5,00,000 and the next level on the chart is the Manager Position.
The average salary of a Social Media Manager is 5,60,000 approximately. The higher range of salary is close to 10,00,000 in India. Social Media Professionals are huge demand in Digital Marketing Agencies. Due to the diversity of the function (multiple tools & various platforms), some business functions prefer to outsource the job to expert agencies, where the Social Media professionals have access to all the required tools and expertise to manage the task well.
- Source – Glassdoor
5) Content Marketing
Content on the internet includes everything – copywriting, blog posts, videos, podcasts, visuals and graphics, campaigns, email newsletters. To oversee these diverse forms of content, a content marketing manager is needed who can lead people with his / her domain expertise, and leadership skills. In some companies, this role is played by SEO but with humongous growth of content on the internet, this job requires a dedicated specialist.
Content Marketing Manager Job Role & Skills
• Content Manager role involves creating, improving & promoting content to achieve our business goals.
• Content Marketing with the objective to raise brand awareness, increasing web traffic and enhancing conversion goals.
• He/she must be able to oversee all marketing content initiatives to ensure customer engagement, brand consistency, and positive customer experience.
• Candidates are mostly in charge of the website content, blogs, copy and all communication from and about the business.
• Manage content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to increase web traffic.
Content Marketing Executive / Specialist Salaries in India
Salary of Content Marketing Executive is higher compared to that of SEO Executive. Since content marketers not only create the content but also promote it, they play 2 roles in a single job. For a Content Marketing Fresher or less than 3 years experience the average salary range is Rupees 2,00,000 to 4,00,000 in India. The highest salary for an executive is around 5,00,000 and the next level on the chart is the Manager Position.
Content Marketing Manager draws a decent pay scale, their median salary is Rs 6,50,000 approximately and the top range is close to 1 million rupees in India. There are vacancies for Content Marketing head as well, where the experience required is 8+ years and the salary range is between 10,00,000 to 20,00,000 rupees per annum
- Source – Payscale
Salaries in Digital Marketing with respect to experience
Salaries are mentioned on the basis of experience. The latter determines your role which in turn determines your remuneration. Exceptions, of course, are always there.
|Years of experience||Salary (in LPA)|
|Interns||10K – 15K per month|
|0 – 1||1.5 – 4.0|
|1 – 3||2.0 – 6.0|
|2 – 4||3.0 – 7.0|
|3 – 5||4.0 – 10.0|
|5 – 10||10.0 – 30.0|
These numbers above are not set in stone. The real influencer of your salary is the skills you have, the mastery you have attained over them, and how quickly you grow and make the company grow as well.
The best thing about digital marketing function is that you do not need to be working in the office. Sitting at home, or at a convenient location, you can earn the same amount – if not more – than a digital marketing office-going employee does. Ready to snag a digital marketing job of your dreams?
Latest posts by Nitin Gurmukhani (see all)
- Why Should You Be Hired For This Internship – 5 Winning Ways to Answer - August 26, 2019
- Digital Marketing Salary in India 2019 – Average to Highest - August 25, 2019
- Digital Marketing Scope in India – The Perfect Career Move - July 11, 2019