The business intelligence market is thriving. We have a few figures for you to set the ball rolling. The global business intelligence market, which stood at $15.6 billion in 2016, is expected to reach $29.48 billion in 2022 (11.1% CAGR). Over 46% of small businesses have business intelligence’s virtual networking features in their core business strategy. Cloud BI adoption nearly doubled in 2018 from what it was in 2016.
Let’s see how companies use BI fare as compared to their competitors. So companies that occupy the top three positions in their respective industries and that make decisions backed by data were found to be 6% more profitable and 5% more productive as opposed to their competitors. More than 35% of manufacturers in the Asia Pacific region use business intelligence solutions. A survey conducted in 2018 revealed that over 90% of sales and marketing teams rely on Cloud BI for getting their work done.
These trends and statistics tell you how BI is expanding across the world. Things are only going to better in the future. If you are thinking of joining the BI bandwagon, this is the right time.
We will talk about business intelligence salary in India a little later in the piece. Let us first see how business intelligence works and what a BI developer is required to do?
What is Business Intelligence?
To set the record straight, let us tell you right at the beginning that business intelligence is a broad term that can be defined in more ways than one. Moreover, we are seeing newer ways of how BI can be used to benefit the business. Let us, for now, stick to its basic definition. So business intelligence is defined as the set of processes, tools, and infrastructure that businesses use to find and analyze critical information.
Business intelligence systems are designed to help businesses draw valuable insights from the huge data that they have access to. BI systems can work with both internal and external data sources. When they are used for internal data, these systems provide an overview of several important points, including stakeholder requirements, customer pain points, industry-related issues, and more. On the other hand, BI systems are mostly used to collect competitive intelligence and market trends data when working in an external environment.
Who is a Business Intelligence Developer?
The past and present of your business is recorded in bits and stored as data. Everything from human resources and sales volumes to marketing figures, budgeting, and a lot more data is stored in different systems and applications. And all this data can come from more business domains than you can ever imagine. As a business, you should always look to extract value out of this massive amount of data. There is no point in collecting and keeping it. You need to put all of this data to work. This is what a business intelligence developer does for you.
A business intelligence developer or BI developer is your organization’s data engineer that develops, deploys, and maintains business intelligence systems and interfaces. Some of these systems include data modeling tools, query tools, ad hoc reporting tools, and data visualization tools amongst others. Developing BI systems is not easy. It requires an understanding of databases, data analysis, and software engineering amongst other concepts.
So if you have worked as a data engineer in the software development real of an organization and have some experience in business intelligence, you can be a BI developer with a little more understanding of how the interface development process works. You can take a relevant online course in BI to do that. So what salary can you expect to earn after completing this course?
Business Intelligence Salary in India
Before we begin discussing salaries, we would like to first make it very clear that your pay can vary depending on a lot of different factors. It depends on your location, your experience, your skills, and your educational qualifications. An opportunity to work with a top firm also enhances your chances of earning more than what candidates with similar skills and experience as you are earning. Also, the salaries mentioned here is an approximation. We are discussing these salaries to provide you an idea of how things work in the industry and what you can expect when you join a company as a BI developer.
The average base salary of a BI developer in India is 5,10,000 per annum. This figure has its upper and lower limits that depend on different factors, most of which have been discussed above. The lower limit is 2,00,000 per annum and the upper limit is 1,287,000 per annum.
You can increase your chances of getting a higher salary than the base average by controlling the factors that are in your hand. So you can choose to work in a location that pays higher than the national average. You can also put forward your candidature in companies that pay their BI developers more than others.
Explore our Popular Data Science Courses
Business Intelligence Developer Salary based on Location
Let us now discuss BI developer for different cities. We are starting with New Delhi. If you are working as a BI developer in New Delhi, you will be paid slightly higher than the national average – 5,45,000 per annum. If you are in Mumbai, your salary will be exactly what the national average is – 5,15,000 per annum. However, this figure sees a significant rise in Bangalore, which is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of India.
The BI developer salary in Bangalore is 7,52,000 per annum. Hyderabad sees a dip from the national average. You can expect to make 5,02,000 per annum as a BI developer in Hyderabad. In Chennai, it is again close to the national average but a little on the higher side – 5,47,000 per annum. A BI developer can expect to earn around 5,12,000 per annum in Pune. Kolkata pays its BI developers the lowest salary – 4,78,000 per annum.
Top Data Science Skills to Learn
|Top Data Science Skills to Learn|
|1||Data Analysis Course||Inferential Statistics Courses|
|2||Hypothesis Testing Programs||Logistic Regression Courses|
|3||Linear Regression Courses||Linear Algebra for Analysis|
Pay Difference by Location
Let us now see how location affects your salary. Before that, let’s tell you that the demand in a particular location also plays a very important role in determining the compensation. Chennai and Bangalore are higher than the national average. However, the same can’t be said about Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, and Noida. All these cities don’t pay their BI developers too well.
Read our popular Data Science Articles
Our learners also read: Top Python Courses for Free
upGrad’s Exclusive Data Science Webinar for you –
ODE Thought Leadership Presentation
Business Intelligence Developer Salary in India – Based on the Employer
Tech Mahindra pays its BI developers the highest salaries. The average at Tech Mahindra is 8,37,000 per annum. No other company is even close to this figure. Cognizant is the distant second with 6,07,000 per annum. Accenture (6,00,000 per annum) occupies the third position in the list of top three companies that offer the highest compensation to BI developers.
The salaries offered by other companies are even lower than the national average. These companies include Capgemini (4,85,000 per annum), Tata Consultancy Services (4,54,000 per annum), and Infosys Limited (4,34,000 per annum) respectively.
Business Intelligence Developer Salary in India – based on Experience
A BI developer who is just entering the industry after completing education can earn around 2,96,000 per annum including bonuses and other benefits. A business intelligence developer with 1-4 years of experience earns up to 4,52,000 per annum on an average. A business intelligence developer in the middle of his career, with 5-9 years of experience, is paid around 8,74,000 per annum.
BI developers with 10-19 years of experience can earn an average of around 1,236,000 per annum. There are other factors at play as well that can decide the ultimate salary you are offered at an organization. These factors are specific to those organizations.
|2,96,000 per annum||8,74,000 per annum||1,236,000 per annum|
If you were thinking that experience doesn’t really matter, you need to change the way you think. Experience has a major role in deciding your salary not only for the position of a BI developer but for any other position as well. We have data backs our claim. So an experienced BI developer earns as much as 145% more than an early career developer. A mid-level BI developer also earns a 73% higher salary than the base average.
Business Intelligence Developer Salary based on Skills
Now there are skills that can help you earn more than the average. BI developers proficient in SQL usually earn around 5,08,000 per annum. BI developers skilled in ETL (Extract, transform, load) repaid around 5,10,000 per annum. If you are proficient in Microsoft SQL Server, you can earn up to 5,30,000 per annum. Your data warehousing skills can help you earn a salary of around 5,85,000 per annum.
Popular Skills for Business Intelligence (BI) Developers
Let us now see how popular skills affect your salary as a business intelligence developer. Proficiency in data warehousing can pay you 16% more than the average. Knowledge of Tableau Software can help you increase your salary by 11%. Business intelligence developers skilled in SQL and ETL can also expect a higher salary. However, the same can’t be said about skills, such as Informatica, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), PL/SQL, and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). These skills won’t have any impact whatsoever on your salary.
Let’s now see what people in related professions earn. A software engineer earns in the range of 2,56,000-1,000,000 per annum depending on their experience and skill set. A software developer usually receives compensation of around 2,08,000-1,000,000 per annum. Other related roles include data analyst (1,95,000-9,25,000 per annum), IT team leader (5,86,000-2,000,000 per annum), IT consultant (3,89,000-2,000,000 per annum), and .NET software programmer/developer (1,76,000-9,90,000 per annum).
So what are you required to do as a BI developer? Let us find out.
What does a BI developer do?
The basic responsibility of a BI developer is to decipher the hidden gems inside business data. Here are a few more:
- Analyze market, business, and product trends to create warehouse data
- Convert business needs into technical details
- Develop systems that provide the information required for decision making
- Put warehouse data to work to create reports that support business performance and decision making
- Maintain platforms for data analytics
- Analyze and improve current BI interfaces
- Troubleshoot different BI models
- Deliver high-quality reports to customers
- Run QA checks on different reports
BI developer skillset
The skills required usually depend on the project that a BI developer has to work on. There are projects in which a BI developer is required to work more like a SQL specialist than a software engineer. In others, there could be an equal mix of both these skills. It doesn’t mean that you can do without any of these skills or others. Listed below are some important skills that a BI developer needs to have:
- Experience in using BI tools
- DB/DBA background
- Business analysis
- Software engineering
- Data analysis
- Troubleshooting or debugging
Learn more: Data Analyst Salary in India
Why choose a career in Business Intelligence?
If data inspires, excites, and amazes you, then one of the best options when it comes to choosing a career is Business Intelligence (BI). You can become a business intelligence developer and work with large amounts of information to find patterns that can be used to make more informed and profitable business decisions. Your interest in computer science and related applications and how they work in the business world can earn you a rewarding career as a BI developer.
We are all living in an era of information. We have access to enormous volumes of information, which can be put to better use than how it is usually used. This is where business intelligence comes into play. A business can use the expertise offered by a BI developer to strategically use the available information and propel its growth beyond its competitors.
A BI developer can also help businesses to improve several other things, including profitability, brand awareness, organizational efficiency, and internal engagement amongst others. It is expected that the BI industry will soar higher than ever by the end of next year.
Top Companies Hiring for a Business Intelligence Role
Business Intelligence is a very important part of the digital transformation that the world is going through. Several top companies think this to be an asset for businesses because it helps in consumer satisfaction and increases efficiency and ROI. This also gives a competitive edge to the company. The companies offer a great BI developer salary. There are several companies that are hiring business intelligence professionals like –
- Deloitte – Deloitte is a large company that has investigators who have had considerable training and have worked in the private and public sectors. They have conducted in-depth investigations related to fraud, asset searches, and other issues. Deloitte is constantly hiring business intelligence professionals who are able to conduct background checks, asset searching and tracing, and find out more open source investigations about large companies.
- Boston Consulting Group – As a team member, you will have a lot of interactions with a variety of stakeholders from various departments and locations inside the company. The position is part of the larger Global Financial Planning & Analysis team, and it involves coordinating and collaborating with the organization’s Analysis, Planning, and Reporting departments. Boston Consulting Group is on the lookout for business intelligence professionals who will be developing and enhancing the business and be an integral part of the core team.
- Dell Technologies – In your role as a senior BI expert, you will analyse company data to provide insightful metrics and find patterns that boost organisational performance. As a trusted adviser to the company, you will promote best practices and exchange knowledge across the organisation and consult with end users to ascertain their information needs. Dell Technologies is looking for BI professionals constantly. They offer a great power BI salary in India.
- BARC India – BARC is looking for a BI professional who will communicate with the entire team and get insights into the organization and clients. Closely work with Market Analytics and partnerships to provide insights into the causes of viewing changes for multiple data searches created by the BARC membership based on raw information.
- Schneider Electric – As a business intelligence expert, you must be able to lead and support marketing teams using appropriate tools. You must have a good understanding of the transformation processes and digitalization. They offer great power BI salary in India.
Your Guide To Land a Business Intelligence Job
Here are some steps that will help you land a great job with a great BI developer salary
- Get a Degree – Getting a four-year bachelor’s is the initial step toward becoming a business intelligence analyst. Data science, computer science, statistics, business administration, economics, and related subjects are typical majors for business intelligence analysts. Whatever your major, taking courses in technology, data, and statistical analysis can help you in your job as a business intelligence expert. A business intelligence analyst salary depends quite heavily on getting the correct degree.
- Get an internship – Many bachelor’s degree programmes provide students with the chance to participate in an internship programme in the business sector or in a particular industry, like accountancy. If you’re interested in a career as a business intelligence analyst, completing an internship programme will help you build your professional network while gaining the required work experience you’ll need to be considered for the job. The power BI developer salary in India is great even while pursuing an internship, which is bound to bring even more lucrative opportunities with an improved experience.
- Get an advanced degree – Many business intelligence analysts to decide to continue their training in order to enrol in master’s level degree programmes like the MBA. Business intelligence analysts may have additional employment options and higher earning potential with a master’s degree. For careers as business intelligence analysts, some businesses may even take a master’s degree in place of extra relevant work experience. This influences the power BI developer salary in India.
- Gain relevant experience – If you’re interested in working as a business intelligence analyst, you should study the job specifications to see if there is any experience required for the position.
Candidates for business intelligence analyst positions are frequently preferred by employers if they have relevant job experience in IT or business. Through internship programmes and entry-level jobs in your field, such as those of a business analyst, you may be able to acquire the expertise required for the position and a great business intelligence analyst salary.
If you are planning a career in business intelligence, you should know that it is a very good career option. The demand for this role has increased significantly in recent years. If you are a software engineer who is looking to take the plunge, you should look for online BI courses that can help you learn the required skills without leaving your existing job.
If you are curious to learn about data science, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s PG Diploma in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.
Learn data science courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Executive PG Programs, Advanced Certificate Programs, or Masters Programs to fast-track your career.