Navigating a Career in UI Designing: Exploring Roles, Salary, and Future Scope
Designing has become a crucial part of every company, with UI-UX designing at its epicentre. A UI designer focuses on the creation of screens, manages visual experience, and is responsible for the appearance of a website. The UI professionals aim and work on interactions, individual pages, form fields, and buttons.
Due to tech advancement in recent times, there is a major shift in the consumer’s demands, and business modules and UI designing opportunities are flourishing day by day. The designation of a UI designer requires UX research processes, coding and analytical skills, and communication skills, along with a detailed understanding of evolving tools.
The UI designer job is a mid-level position in the hierarchy of digital design. While being an amalgamation of tech and creativity, it is widely rewarded for its intricate role. Let’s explore this popular job profile, UX UI salary and future scope.
Learn digital marketing courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Masters, Executive PGP, or Advanced Certificate Programs to fast-track your career.
UI Designer- What does the role look like?
UI designers study the user experience with a common goal of developing and creating user interfaces for machines, including computers and home appliances. UI designers need to understand computer programming languages, web design, graphic designing and website wireframes.
UI designers work in new startups, large corporations, government and public bodies, focusing on different colours, imagery, typography, and animation. They also work with visual design and UI design tools, including wireframing, prototyping and documentation tools.
UI Job Roles and Salaries
- Focusing on the user experience within a business webpage or product to ensure high-quality interaction for customers on webpages.
- Working on the visual aspects of product software, screens and movements in websites, apps, or video games with the help of visual designs for the consumers.
- Managing customer responses with a focus on website data and high-traffic web pages.
- Developing relevant aesthetics to be implemented on a website or product from the layout menus and drop-down options.
- Establishing storyboards, conceptualising designs and conducting tests for completed applications.
- Extending project plans to clients and management.
- Navigating human-computer interaction (HCI) elements of a design and other UI elements, including CTAs, target links, page designs, and page layouts.
- Managing surveys, customer feedback, and UX design need for the company’s digital assets.
- Offering assistance in creating wireframes, visual and graphic designs, storyboards and prototypes, along with providing guidance to UX and UI research methodologies.
UX UI Salary Trends in India
Let’s take a look at the UX UI designer salary trends in India.
|Location||Average Annual Salary|
|New Delhi||INR 5.0 LPA|
|Mumbai||INR 4.8 LPA|
|Chennai||INR 4.0 LPA|
|Bengaluru||INR 5.7 LPA|
|Ahmedabad||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Hyderabad||INR 5.7 LPA|
|Kochi||INR 3.7 LPA|
Factors Affecting UI designer Salary in India
There are several factors determining a UX UI salary. Let’s look at how the figures vary under the influence of these factors!
1. Job roles – Job roles and designations significantly impact salary figures. For instance, in the UI designing hierarchy, a junior assistant will receive a comparatively lower salary when posed against a senior UI designer possessing visual creativity and managerial responsibilities.
|Roles||Average Annual Salary|
|Junior UI Designer||INR 2.5 LPA|
|Senior UI UX Designer||INR 13.2 LPA|
|Lead UI Designer||INR 17 LPA|
2. Experience – Experience is the second most essential element that leads to the path of success in every working sector. Along with a specialised course and educational qualifications, individuals need to have practical experience in designing and programming to bag lucrative opportunities.
|Years of Experience||Average Annual Salary|
|Entry Level (0-3 years)||INR 4.1 LPA|
|Mid Level (5-10 years)||INR 9.1 LPA|
|Senior Level (10-15 years)||INR 13 LPA|
3. Location – The location and regions affect the salary range of business organisations. The employer sets the salary standards and payment procedure according to market rates. For instance, UI designers’ initial salary for Bangalore candidates can be around INR 5.7 LPA, while the same for employees based in Kochi is INR 3.7 LPA.
4. Skills– Cultivating essential skills while upskilling with evolution in trends is imperative to witness a growth in salary figures. Certain skills can give you an edge over others if you’re working as a UX UI designer.
|Skill||Average Annual Salary|
|Cascading Style Sheets||INR 7.4 LPA|
|Adobe Illustrator||INR 8.2 LPA|
|Usability Testing||INR 6.1 LPA|
UI Designer Salary in Other Countries
UI Designer salary depends on job responsibilities and industry type, varying according to the working capital. According to Payscale, the average salary of UI designers in India is 4.6 LPA a year, with five to six years of experience. This figure significantly varies when it comes to international locations. Here’s what different UI Design salary rates across countries look like.
|Countries||Average Annual Salary|
|United States||USD 68,516|
|United Kingdom||GBP 32,372|
Future scope of UI Designer in India
The demand for UI designers has massively increased across various business sectors in the past five years. According to reports, the UI designing sectors are expected to rise at a growth rate of 16% from 2017 to 2027 and reach 50 billion USD by the year 2027. Since rapid digitisation has enabled every other brand to establish an online presence, more organisations are seeking talented UI personnel to maintain their image.
Let’s see what UI Designer salary rates look like under reputed global organisations.
|Company||Average Annual Salary|
|HCL Tech||INR 9,16,905|
How to prepare for UI Designer interviews to land the best jobs?
Pursuing a dream job requires hard work, patience, and tackling an expansive lane of interviews across organisations. Let’s go through some essential elements of an interview that you must focus on to bag the job of your dreams.
Focus on Communication skills
The UI Designers need to possess active listening skills and be proficient in writing and verbal communication to collaborate with UX Designers and engineers. The company’s primary goal is to hire an individual with excellent speaking and analytical skills.
Create a Unique Portfolio
In order to get a good designation and your dream job, you need to aim at creating a good portfolio. Incorporate your past experiences and design skills, and be confident to share your personal suggestions about user personas.
Answer all Questions Asked in the Interview
Read sample questions beforehand and answer all questions the interviewer asks with confidence and expertise. Based on responses, employers analyse analytical skills and managerial techniques to hire cooperative individuals.
Allow us to take you through some of the most commonly asked interview questions for UI Designer jobs;
Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Be confident and answer the question carefully and speak of wishing to become a product manager or a senior UI designer in the next ten years.
What are your greatest strengths as a UI developer?
As UI developers have a creative mind which strikes a perfect balance with technicalities, be confident while listing your goals in the interview rounds.
Best Digital Marketing Courses Online
Advanced Certificate in Brand Communication Management - MICA
Advanced Certificate in Digital Marketing and Communication - MICA
Performance Marketing Bootcamp - Google Ads from upGrad
To Explore all our courses, visit our page below.
Digital Marketing Courses
What kind of UI skills are needed to become a successful UI Designer?
Along with essential soft skills, UI Designers must acquire skills including visual design, prototyping platforms, site analytics, HTML and CSS.
In-demand Digital Marketing Skills
Being entirely driven by creativity and visual prowess, UI design salary across the nation observes frequent ascension. The best way to ascertain your growth across this field through the years is by keeping track of evolving tech endeavours, as well as the creative planes. Obtaining a master’s in the relevant domain can be your first step.
upGrad’s Master of Science in Computer Science can be an exceptional choice to navigate this path! With this prestigious certification from LJMU, you will learn the basics of Java programming, Full Stack Development, Computing Systems, Algorithms, Software Engineering and much more, enabling you an in-depth understanding of the tech part of your UI role.
With upGrad, additional benefits like 24/7 career support, mentorship, 7+ case studies, high-performance coaching and guidance under world-class faculty are just a click away!
You can also check out our free courses offered by upGrad in Management, Data Science, Machine Learning, Digital Marketing, and Technology. All of these courses have top-notch learning resources, weekly live lectures, industry assignments, and a certificate of course completion – all free of cost!
Digital Marketing Free courses to Learn
Popular Digital Marketing Blogs
What are the tools used for UI design?
Figma, Adobe XD, Sketch, InVision, FlowMapp, Axure, UserTesing and Framer are some of the most prominently used tools by industry experts in the role of UI UX design.
How does User Experience help in UI designs?
While working with a website or an app, consumers' happiness and response is the foremost factor that makes the company successful. Thus, the key element in UI designing is customers' satisfaction and suggestions on the product.
What is the timeline for a UI design project?
Several factors, like wireframing, budget, past user experiences, and collaboration with other department teams, play an important role in the timeline of a UI design project. The average timeline is six months to one year for a UI design project.