Java Projects & Topics
Java is one of the most popular and in-demand programming languages to learn. Thanks to its platform independence and multiplatform support, Java is a staple programming language of the IT and software sectors. Companies are always on the lookout for skilled Java Developers who can develop innovative Java projects. So, if you are a Java programming beginner, the best thing you can do is work on some real-time Java projects.
We, here at upGrad, believe in a practical approach as theoretical knowledge alone won’t be of help in a real-time work environment. In this article, we will be exploring some interesting Java projects which beginners can work on to put their Java knowledge to test. In this article, you will find 17 top Java project ideas for beginners to get hands-on experience in Java.
But first, let’s address the more pertinent question that must be lurking in your mind: why to build Java projects?
When it comes to careers in software development, it is a must for aspiring developers to work on their own projects. Developing real-world projects is the best way to hone your skills and materialize your theoretical knowledge into practical experience.
Amid the cut-throat competition, an aspiring Java Developers must have hands-on experience with real-world Java projects. In fact, this is one of the primary recruitment criteria for most employers today. As you start working on Java projects, you will not only be able to test your strengths and weaknesses, but you will also gain exposure that can be immensely helpful to boost your career.
Although Java is a relatively new programming language (it was launched in the early 1990s), it has created a unique niche in the IT industry. Java is the driving force behind some of the largest organizations, including Airbnb, Uber, eBay, Pinterest, Groupon, Spotify, Intel, Symantec, TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Flipkart, and TripAdvisor, to name a few.
The five main reasons for Java’s popularity are:
- Platform independence – Java runs on the WORA (Writing Once, Run Anywhere). A Java code is compiled into an intermediate format (a.k.a. bytecode), which is then executed in the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). So, any system running a JVM can execute Java code. Furthermore, JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is compatible with all the three operating systems – Linux, macOS, and Windows.
- Multi-threaded – Java has inbuilt multithreading capabilities, which means that you can develop highly interactive and responsive apps with multiple concurrent threads of activity using Java.
- Object-oriented – Java is a purely object-oriented language. Inspired by C and C++, Java extends the functionality of these languages to become a pure object-oriented programming language. Abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism are some of its core OOP features.
- Secure – When it comes to safety, Java incorporates a host of safety features into the runtime systems, including runtime checking and static type-checking at the time of compilation. With these features in place, it is pretty challenging to hack into a Java application from an external source.
- Robust – Java leverages a simple memory management model reinforced by the automatic garbage collection. Since Java objects do not require external references, Java code is robust. Besides, it also encourages developers to adopt productive programming habits for developing secure and reliable applications. The more you experiment with different java projects, the more knowledge you gain.
Read more: What is Type Casting in Java
Standard uses of Java
Java is a versatile programming language, and it finds applications in many areas of software and app development. Some of the most popular applications of Java include:
Java is the backbone and foundation for numerous software tools. It is widely used for both open-source and commercial software projects. Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, BlueJ, JDeveloper, and NetBeans IDE are some of the most popular IDEs for creating Java applications and tools.
Java used for writing code for Android applications. Eclipse IDE is perhaps the most extensively used development environment for writing and building Android apps. Kotlin, the programming language designed explicitly for JVM and Android platform, is also heavily inspired by Java.
Owing to its flexibility, reliability, and high performance, Java is an excellent choice for developing web applications. Java provides support for web applications via JSPs and Servlets. Plus, you can use Java Web Application for building dynamic websites.
When it comes to scientific applications, Java is preferred over C++ since it boasts of a comprehensive suite of concurrency tools. Moreover, Java code is stable, secure, and robust, which is a prerequisite for scientific applications.
Now that you know the best features of Java and its uses let’s get into the core topic of our discussion – Java projects. After completing their graduation in Software Engineering, every aspiring Java Developer is faced with the question, “What to do next?”
Our answer to that is, start looking for Java project ideas to build your very own Java projects!
So, here are a few Java Projects which beginners can work on:
Top Java Project Ideas
This list of Java projects for students is suited for beginners, intermediates & experts. These Java projects will get you going with all the practicalities you need to succeed in your career as a Java developer.
Further, if you’re looking for Java projects for final year, this list should get you going. So, without further ado, let’s jump straight into some Java projects that will strengthen your base and allow you to climb up the ladder.
Here are some Java project ideas that should help you take a step forward in the right direction.
One of the best ideas to start experimenting you hands-on Java projects for students is working on Airline reservation system. The proposed airline reservation system is a web-based Java project. It is a comprehensive passenger processing system that includes inventory, fares, e-ticket operations, and online transactions. The main features of the airline reservation system are:
- Reservation and cancellation of the airline tickets.
- Automation of airline system functions.
- Perform transaction management and routing functions.
- Offer quick responses to customers.
- Maintain passenger records and report on the daily business transactions.
This integrated airline reservation management application features an open architecture that encourages the addition of new systems and functionalities. This means that the app can be tweaked to keep up with the dynamic needs of the airline business. If you are looking for cool java projects to add to your resume, this is the one.
The VRS software suite incorporates four key modules, namely, user registration, login, reservation, and cancellation. This is one of the important java projects for beginners and the app allows for all communications to take place through a TCP/IP network protocol, thereby facilitating the usage of intranet and internet communications globally.
This is an excellent Java projects for beginners. As the name suggests, this course management system is an online management software application designed for educational institutions. The primary goal of the project is to facilitate seamless interaction between students and instructors in schools, colleges, and universities concerning the submission of projects, assignments, thesis, and receiving feedback from instructors. This project has three interlinked modules:
- Administrator module – This module is designed exclusively for managing administrative functions like creating accounts for students and instructors, creating the curriculum, coding the subjects, managing the employees, payroll, and so on. Basically, this module lays the groundwork for the other two modules.
- Students module – This module is designed for the usage of students. They can log in to their accounts to view their coursework, submit their projects, get feedback from instructors, etc.
- Instructor module – This module is for the instructors who can log in to their accounts and check the projects submitted by the students, communicate with the students, and offer guidance to them.
As we mentioned earlier, this project aims to promote the sharing of information between qualified instructors and students via the Internet.
Data visualization is a crucial element in the modern industry driven by Data Science, Business Intelligence, and Business Analytics. It refers to the visual representation of data, either in a graphical or pictorial format. This is an important java projects for beginners. This data visualization project is all about providing an overview of the design and implementation techniques in data visualization. The objectives of this project are:
- To deliver precise and effective communication of the insights hidden in the data through appropriate graphical or pictorial representations.
- To offer relevant insights into complex datasets for conveying ideas effectively.
- To stimulate the viewer’s attention and engagement while communicating accurate information.
- To be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing.
This data visualization software displays the node connectivity in networking in the form of data visualization. You can use a mouse or a trackpad to locate it at different locations. The best part about the project is that you can enhance and tweak the software features and functions according to your requirements. Mentioning Java projects can help your resume look much more interesting than others.
This project is a modern version of the traditional electricity billing system. The main focus of this Java project is to computerize the electricity billing system to make it more seamless, accessible, and efficient. The software calculates the units consumed within a specified time duration and accordingly calculates the amount of money to be paid for those units. The following features make the electricity billing system more service-oriented and straightforward:
- It features a high-performance speed along with accuracy.
- It allows for seamless data sharing between the electricity office and customers.
- It is protected by high-security measures and controls.
- It includes the necessary provisions for debugging.
Unlike the conventional billing system, this computerized software does not require a large number of human employees to handle and manage the process of bill generation. Once it is installed on the system, it will automatically calculate the units consumed and the bills from time to time and also provide the meter readings to each customer. You can continue to add new features in the system as and when user requirements change.
One of the best ideas to start experimenting you hands-on Java projects for students is working on e-Healthcare management system. The e-Healthcare management system is a web-based project that seeks to provide effective management of employee data and medical data of patients in hospitals and clinics.
Data mining techniques lies at the core of this project, which consists of 2 modules: an administration module and a client module. While the administration module is concerned with Medicare Management that includes healthcare departments, doctors, nurses, ward, and clerks, the client module is for patients.In many ways business intelligence is revolutionizing healthcare.
The key features of the e-Healthcare management system are:
- It establishes a clear line of contact and communication between doctors and patients.
- It accurately analyses usage percentage of the hospital resources, including laboratory equipment, bed occupation ratio, administration, medicines, etc.
- It leverages the CRISP-DM (standard cross-industry process for data mining) creating an accurate and effective management system.
- It eliminates the problems of missing data and incorrect data.
Through these features, the e-Healthcare management system will help overcome the drawbacks and challenges of the existing healthcare management system. It will allow for the smooth management of hospital staff and quicken the process of delivery of healthcare services.
Also try: Python Project Ideas & Topics
So, why not use your skills to develop an impressive java project based on email system? This project is an email program designed for sending and receiving electronic mail. In the project, you will use the standard sockets and networking along with Java Mail API. There are two main protocols used in the project – SMTP and POP3. This is one of the java projects for beginners.
Usually, conventional email client software conducts electronic mailing through web browsers like Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, etc. Since these systems use HTTP port 80 to access all the emails, it is not precisely the best means to send sensitive or confidential messages. Hackers can easily hack into the software system and violate or misuse the data.
The project functions something like this – the ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) mail server handles the emails sent from an ISP. All the sent emails first come to the mail server, after which they are processed and forwarded to the collector’s destination where another mail server is located.
The mail server on the collector side receives the incoming emails and sorts them electronically in the inbox. Now, the recipient can use their email application to view the received emails. The entire transaction occurs by directly connecting to the mail server through the program, which makes it much safer than the existing email client software.
Also read: Event handling in Java
This software project is implemented in Java using MS Access database design. It is designed for managing and maintaining libraries in any educational institution through an integrated computerized system. The library management software will allow librarians to operate more productively while handling the typical day-to-day tasks of a library.
In a traditional library management system, everything is done manually. All the library operations and records, including the number of books, genres of books, names of books, records of the students who’ve issued/returned books, etc., are all done via pen and paper. Naturally, this process requires a significant amount of time, effort, and even human resources. If you are looking for final year java projects, this is perfect for you.
The proposed project seeks to solve all the challenges associated with the traditional library management system. Since it stores and manages all the library records in a computerized database, it eliminates the need for manual record-keeping. The software includes different modules, each of which handles and manages specific library operations.
By using this software application, librarians and students need not search the entire library to find a book. They can enter the name and author of the book, and the system will display the list of all the possible books available for that search keyword/phrase. This is one of the best features of this library management software.
A network packet sniffer is a packet analyzer software used for monitoring network traffic. It is a web-based Java application that facilitates web-based monitoring of network packets traveling across the system network. By using this software application, the Admin can capture network packets and analyze the data received and sent from/to the network. The software helps capture the source of the network packets and the destination address.
The main objective of this project is to establish a set of rules during runtime to prevent hackers from attacking the system software with viruses and malware. Unlike standard network hosts that only track the traffic sent exclusively to them, this software application captures each packet, decodes it for analysis as the data streams flow across a network. Some of the most commendable features of this software application are:
- 24×7 network monitoring
- Real-time packet capturing
- Advanced protocol analyzing
- Complex network analyzing
- Automatic packet-level analysis
- Comprehensive packet decoding
This is one of the interesting Java projects to create. This project focuses on developing an online banking system. The main aim is to create an online banking platform that is accessible from any location, so customers need not go to the bank branches for routine banking operations like money withdrawal, money transfer, balance inquiry, etc.
Visiting the physical branches of banks is not only time consuming but can also be hectic, thanks to long queues and waiting time. Not to forget, running to banks for every minor banking task creates an unnecessary burden on bank staff. These issues can be addressed by developing an online banking system that will offer seamless and prompt banking services to customers. However, to use this software application, a user must be registered with the system. To do so, the user has to create a unique user name and password for securely logging in to the application.
This online bank management application will provide the following services to customers:
- Customers can view their account details such as type of account, available balance, the interest rate on available loans, credit/debit statements, etc. from any remote location.
- Customers can check their transaction history that includes necessary information like transaction time, type, and amount.
- It will display the amount of deposited cash or withdrawn cash along with the date of deposition/withdrawal.
This is another web-based Java project that is designed to create a direct line of communication between doctors and patients. The project is known as “Virtual Medicine Home.” By using this application, patients can book online appointments with their preferred doctors, and doctors can offer healthcare suggestions, e-prescription, and view the patient’s medical records, lab reports, etc. The application also lets users look for and connect with blood and eye donors. This is one of the excellent java project ideas for the current time.
In conventional healthcare service systems, all medical management operations are manual. The problem is more pronounced in remote and rural areas that lack proper medical infrastructure, qualified healthcare professionals, and sophisticated medical equipment. This is one of the java projects for beginners. Furthermore, there are no provisions for recording and storing medical data. This online medical management system can help bridge all these problems by linking doctors and patients directly.
The application has two modules — an Admin module and a Doctor module. The Admin module manages the online software system, and the Doctor module allows doctors to interact with patients. Anyone can access the services provided by this app from any location via the Internet.
Also, Get your hands on: Full stack project ideas & topics
This Java-based application proposes to create an online discussion platform that will consist of a wide range of questions on different topics, fields, and subjects. By creating a user-friendly environment of Bluebook implementation, this application is a resourceful tool for individuals who wish to practice mock quizzes and tests. Online quiz management system is one of the interesting java projects.
In this project, you will build a comprehensive online platform for managing both quiz competitions and the participants in the different teams. This application can be used by academic institutions and any organization willing to find suitable candidates through the process of quizzing.
The application permits multiple admins, each having their unique user id and password. While admins can create an “n” number of participating teams for a quiz, they can also set an “n” number of rounds for the quiz. All the participants will automatically receive the questions, and the teams will have to answer within an allotted time.
In case a team is unable to answer a question or gives the wrong answer, they’ll receive negative marking. The teams having the lowest average score will be eliminated, and the remaining teams will continue to compete in the next level. This will continue until the winner is declared. The scores for each team will be automatically updated. And this is the perfect idea for your next Java project!
This is a project for developing an online survey system using Java as the foundation. The focus of the project is to build an online platform that can efficiently collect the viewpoints of the target audience of a survey via the Internet. This application can launch online surveys and also send email notifications. Any organization in any industry can use this application to conduct online surveys for obtaining necessary information from their target audience groups.
In this survey application, only the users authenticated by the Admin can cast their vote and express their opinion on a particular issue or topic. Once the users submit the votes, the software will collect this using the ratio button or checkbox. It will then automatically add the votes to each alternative and display the result after the deadline of the survey.
The main features of this online survey system project include:
- It is coded in Java with MySQL server database.
- It can hide the identity of users/voters, thereby collecting all the information in confidentiality.
- It collects the votes using the ratio button or checkbox.
- It can be installed anywhere at an affordable cost.
Since the survey is conducted online, it eliminates several hours of manual labor, along with a significant reduction in survey costs.
13. RSS feed reader
The goal of the RSS feed reader project is to minimize the delay between the publication of new content on the web and its appearance on the reader/aggregator. It allows the retrieval of the latest content posted on a website quickly on the aggregator, thus, making the content readily accessible to the users for reading. The RSS feed reader management system is equipped with improved content monitoring policies for all RSS feeds.
The existing aggregator management applications use the homogeneous Poisson model that relies on a specific data source (either a webpage or RSS feed). As a result, these applications cannot adapt if the data source changes. They do not even have well-designed monitoring policies. This project incorporates and implements new content monitoring strategies to overcome the drawbacks of the existing aggregator management applications. The new RSS feed reader leverages a non-homogeneous Poisson model and delay matrices.
This RSS feed reader management system investigates the techniques used by RSS aggregation services to monitor web content and to retrieve the data promptly using minimal resources, to enable readers to access the content without delay. The project focuses mainly on the server-based aggregation scenario.
The proposed model has the following functional requirements:
- It should be able to provide information from disparate data sources to all users.
- The system should be able to run efficiently using minimal system resources.
- The time delay must be minimized so that users can view the data quickly on their feed.
- The aggregated content should be converted into a document format compatible with browsers.
- The RSS content must be monitored at frequent intervals.
The Smart City project is a web-based software application built to store all the essential details of a city. Cities and urban areas witness a massive wave of people coming from every corner in search of jobs, education, and even a better lifestyle. In the initial days after the move, people don’t know the main facilities, attractions, and services offered in the city. The smart city project seeks to address that by creating an integrated platform to store essential and related information to guide the newcomers in a city.
The application will provide visitors, students, and job seekers information like hotels, renting facilities, transportation services, healthcare services, airline ticket booking, shopping landmarks, emergency helpline, and basically every information that one needs when in a new city. It is like a smart city guide for visitors.
Users can connect to the application via the Internet and browse all the smart city web pages to get the details they need. Users can see the entire map of a city along with the important landmarks. This will make their movement across the city much more comfortable.
The smart city application has five modules:
- Administration module – It is the central controller of the application. It uploads all the new information on the site and authenticates user profiles, and supervises the maintenance of the other four modules.
- Tourism module – As the name suggests, this module handles all the tourism-related operations in the city, such as hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, ATMs, theatres, and so on. A user authenticated by the administration module becomes the primary user of this module.
- Student module – This module is designed specifically for helping students move around the city. It contains all the academia related information for students, including the location of best educational institutes, libraries, coaching centers, technical colleges, universities, colleges, etc.
- Jobseekers module – This module contains important information on the job opportunities available in the city. Users can access all kinds of job-related information across various industries. The main objective of this module is to help the city administration to combat unemployment problems in the city.
- Business module – This module focuses on offering business-related news, information, and opportunities in the city. Users can access information on trade and business centers and industries in the city.
Must Read: Java Interview Question & Answers.
This is one of the trending Java projects. This web-based Java application is designed to manage stocks for companies and organizations and also handle the sale and purchase of their products. The stock management system includes different modules and features for adding, editing, viewing, and deleting items in the system database.
Usually, the manual stock management method run with pen and paper is not only labor-intensive but also time-consuming. This approach lacks a proper data organization structure, which can give rise to many risks associated with data mismanagement. This stock management project is a more efficient and improved approach to stock data management. It is much more secure and reliable than the manual method.
In the application, the login page makes the system module. The Admin can use this module to log in to the system through a valid user ID and password. Once logged in, the Admin can control these features:
- Enter stock
- View stock
- Dispatch stock
- Move stock
The Admin can update and monitor all necessary information associated with stock management, including category, customer details, stock details, stock purchase, stock sales, stock entries, stock entries payments, stock sales payments, supplier details, etc. The application further includes other functions like printing payment receipts, view purchase reports and sales reports, and so on.
This is one of the interesting Java projects. Supply chain management refers to the management of businesses interconnected over a network. It includes a whole range of management procedures like handling, storage, and movement of raw materials, inventory, and transporting finished goods from the source to its final destination.
This project aims to smoothen the supply chain management process by closely monitoring the dealers and clients and continually tracking the products through the different points in the supply chain. Using this application, a company can directly communicate with its clients, obtain the product requirements, manufacture the product to fit those requirements, and finally ship it off to the client.
This project uses JSP, JDBC, and HTML for the front-end and MS Access as the back-end database. It is a web-based application that will automate the system of communication between the management or admin, dealers, and clients of the company. There are three modules in this application:
- Admin module – The Admin uses this module to check information on the manufactured products, newly launched products, and products that must be delivered to the clients.
- Dealer module – This module keeps track of all the essential information concerning the dealers, particularly the record of items. Dealers can generate and update the item list for a product using this module.
- Client module – The client uses this module to provide the necessary specifications of a product. The client feedback is processed through this module and forwarded to the Admin.
By using this application, the clients can directly convey their product requirements to the manufacturer, who then contacts multiple vendors to acquire the necessary resources for making the product. The dealers usually create a list of items as per the product information provided to them, after which the manufacturer selects the materials that best fit the specifications given by the client.
Then, the selected list of items is forwarded to the inventory department for processing, after which the manufacturing begins. Once the production is complete, the accounts department calculates the raw materials’ costs and manufacturing costs to generate the total bill. Finally, the product, along with the invoice, is shipped to the client. The client is free to offer feedback on the received product.
VPN is one of the trending java projects. This goal of building this virtual private network (VPN) is to extend a private network across a public domain (for example, the Internet). A VPN is created by setting up a point-to-point virtual connection via traffic encryption, dedicated connections, or virtual tunneling protocols.
There are three interconnected modules in this VPN project:
- Administration module – This module monitors all the office operations and manages the staff details.
- Marketing module – This module handles everything related to the marketing operations of the software application.
- Training module – This module manages all the technical operations like software testing, networking, call center, and J2EE training.
Confidentiality, authentication, and data integrity are the three core elements of this VPN security model. The other pivotal features of this application are:
- It allows for the addition of new clients, a feature better known as “scalability.” This feature allows a company/organization to accommodate new clients in the network as it expands.
- It uses a remote backup server to prevent the system from failing due to sudden crashes. Since a VPN handles a large volume of files that are created every day, it is crucial to have a remote backup server to process all the requests coming from the client to the server and vice-versa.
- It uses a remote monitoring system to keep track of the activities of every client or individual connected to the VPN. This ensures that the privacy and security of the network remain intact.
- As is true of all VPNs, this VPN application, too, has the provision for certification in the system. When two or more LAN (Local Area Network) systems interact, certification is mandatory to protect the system’s security.
- It triggers and sends acknowledgement signals to notify clients on successful data transfer (whether or not the data has successfully reached the desired destination).
These are a few java projects that you could try out! In this article, we have covered top Java projects. Start with the java projects for beginners that best fit your present knowledge, skill set, and difficulty level. Start with the basic level and gradually move on to more advanced-level projects as your skill and expertise level matures.
Only by working with tools and practice can you understand how infrastructures work in reality. Now go ahead and put to test all the knowledge that you’ve gathered through our Java projects guide to building your very own java projects!
If you wish to improve your Java skills, you need to get your hands on these java projects. If you’re interested to learn more about Java, full stack development, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s PG Diploma in Full-stack Software Development which is designed for working professionals and offers 500+ hours of rigorous training, 9+ projects, and assignments, IIIT-B Alumni status, practical hands-on capstone projects & job assistance with top firms.
How easy it is to implement these projects?
These projects are very basic, someone with a good knowledge of Java programming can easily manage to pick and finish any of these projects.
Can I do this projects on Java Internship?
Yes, as mentioned, these project ideas are basically for Students or Beginners. There is a high possibility that you get to work on any of these project ideas during your internship.
Why do we need to build Java projects?
When it comes to careers in software development, it is a must for aspiring developers to work on their own projects. Developing real-world projects is the best way to hone your skills and materialize your theoretical knowledge into practical experience.