Library Management Systems are a great way to monitor books, add them, update information in it, search for the suitable one, issue it, and return it when needed. This Library Management System Project is developed in Java, to provide all the features that a Library Management System should usually have and overcome the drawbacks of the present system such as:
- Paper-based record keeping.
- Mis-management of data due to manual and paper-based handling.
- A vast amount of time consumption in searching for books and library management.
- Book-thefts from the library.
Check out our free courses to get an edge over the competition.
Explore Our Software Development Free Courses
|Blockchain Technology||React for Beginners||Core Java Basics|
This project idea also acts as a good starting point for Java beginners because the Java program for library management system using inheritance requires you to have clarity of various basic programming concepts and constructs. The library inventory management program in Java gets you accustomed to building large-scale applications that work on large amounts of data and operations.
Features of the Library Management System Project in JavaNo Coding Experience Required. 360° Career support. PG Diploma in Machine Learning & AI from IIIT-B and upGrad.
This software resolves all the issues of the previous system with its offerings like
Menus: A menu-driven project with various options to select and function.
Check out upGrad: Full Stack Development Bootcamp (JS/MERN)
- Proper reports can be generated with the necessary information to view the real-time updates and progress, with a click of a button.
- Friendly user interface: A library management system with functionalities to issue, return, and view the status of books should be user friendly enough so that the person handling it can get the work done efficiently. It is such that people who haven’t used software earlier can also work on it efficiently without knowing any technicalities.
- Real-time errors display: A proper provision to display error messages is provided so that the problem with the system can be known and resolved easily.
Our Learners also read: Communication skills course online Free with certificate!
- A secure system for logins and preventing unauthorized ones is provided so that no one uses it without permission.
- Validated entries are permitted: Each form has its validations, so the possibility of wrong entries is minimized.
Read: 17 Interesting Java Project Ideas & Topics For Beginners
Check out upGrad: Java Bootcamp
Why are we creating the Library Management System Project in Java?
Java is an object-oriented language that is similar to C++ but has more features in it like free access, and it can run on all platforms. Some of the unique features that make it the best choice for such software development are:
- It does not have such problems as operator overloading or pointers that can complicate the process.
- Object-oriented: As an object-oriented program, it is considered to have a state and behaviour and give output accordingly.
- Secure: It runs the program in the sandbox and converts to bytecode after compilation, to avoid data tampering from untrusted sources.
Explore our Popular Software Engineering Courses
Apart from the benefits of Java as a programming language, the idea of creating a library management system is in itself beneficial – especially for those getting started with library inventory management program in Java programming and in need of projects or tasks that can give them the flavour of real-world problems and designing their solutions. That is why library management system code in Java acts as a comprehensive yet beginner-friendly starting point.
upGrad’s Exclusive Software and Tech Webinar for you –
SAAS Business – What is So Different?
Library Management System Project in Java
Let’s look at the java program for library management system using inheritance. This library management system in Java will help you properly visualise and understand the entire flow of information that passes through this library management inventory in java. The project created with Java used for controlling and monitoring operations in the library management system has been divided into five main modules:
- Database module: This has two functions – Insertion of data and extraction of data with a user-friendly screen.
- Report module: For the borrowed books list to display.
- Available module: To view the availability of books.
- Search Module: search facility for books and members.
- Payment module: Payment facility for fine payments.
Users in this system:
- Admin: Add, view, and delete the librarian.
- Librarian: Add, view, issue books, return books, payment.
Read: Essential project management skills for a successful career.
System requirements for Library Management System Project in Java
Coding Language: Java
Database: MS Access
- MySQL JDBC Connector
- MySQL Community Server
- Eclipse IDE
System DesignLearn to build applications like Swiggy, Quora, IMDB and more
Read: Product manager growth and career options.
The Input Design
The input design consists of the precise input instructions, which are easy, logical, and devoid of error entries. The source document already consists of the data entry and its format with its allocated space and field sequence. The online data entry into the input-form should be free of errors. It makes use of a processor that accepts commands and the provided data from the user to analyse and then take it further.
Depending on whether it’s correct or not, the process goes further and then it is either accepted/rejected.
The input stage is not just one stage, but an amalgamation of various stages:
- Data Record
- Data Transcription
- Data Conversion
- Data Verification
- Data Correction
- Data Transmission
In-Demand Software Development Skills
The Output Design
The output design works to provide an accurate and effective answer to the query asked in the input by the user. As they are the direct source of information for the provider, they need to have satisfying results that answer the query raised. During the logical design of the program, the particular outputs for the questions are set up with their formats.
The Database design
The database is the place where the interrelated data for the users is stored to provide them with the solution effectively. As the inputs and outputs, database design is one of the essential parts of the process, to make the information accessible and flexible for the users to retrieve.
Some of the features of an accurate database design include:
- Data Independence
- Less Redundancy
- Ease of understanding and retrieval
Learn: What is Type Casting in Java | Understanding Type Casting As a Beginner
Library Management System Project in Java: Coding
Information will be stored in the form of tables for this software program. The various tables that are used in this program are
Table Name: Books
Table Name: Borrow
Table Name: Members/Students
Now, depending on the various functions, you can understand the working of each one of them.
It is clear with the name what this function is for. It enables the user and admin login. The first login would always be the admin login, and the password remains the same, i.e. admin.
After the admin login, one can perform various activities of the admin such as viewbooks, view issued books, view the students/members, issue book, add member, add book details, return the book, expired/pending book, etc.(the detailed functions are explained in the ‘admin menu section below).
- Connect to GUI:
As it says, this function connects the database to the GUI. After connecting the database, the username and password of the database have to be entered to start the function. Next, using the create function, database, tables, and data can be added to the table.
This is done with the help of SQL statements, which helps to connect to the GUI and enable login.
- User Menu: The user menu displays all the books that are issued by the user.
- Admin Menu: The admin has all the permissions in the system and can perform functions like add books and users, delete/edit books, return books, details of users, details of books, create, and reset the database, etc.
- Output menu: The output menu will display the answers to the query. The initial id and password for the first login would be for admin, and the username and password would also be the same, i.e. admin.
After the login, a dialogue box opens with various options as described above in ‘login’.
- View Books- When you click this option, the details of the books as stored in the table will be displayed with their name, genre, price, Subject, Author, Copyright, Publisher, Edition Pages, ISBN and other book details if mentioned in the database.
- View Members/ Students/ Users – The users in the system are displayed with their details to whom the books would be issued and its present status (issued, returned, pending fine, etc.)
The users will also be able to view the books issued to them with this option. They can also see the books available in the database that can be issued.
Read: Product management career path and its scope
- Create/reset the database: You can create and reset a database using this option. You must always be careful before resetting a database as there is a chance of loss of information.
- Add user – To add a new user to the program, click on ‘add user’ and select whether it is an admin or user to continue. The details of all users will be displayed in the view users section.
- Issue a book – To issue a book to a student/member/user, you need to click on the ‘issue book button’ with the book details like book id, user id, number of days to be issued, date of return, etc. After entering the required information, click on ‘submit’ which completes the process. Depending on the process you need for issuing a book or providing access to users to view the list of books, you can change the logic as desired. If you need to provide access for particular users to view the list of some selected books available in the database, some changes to the logic need to be done.
- View issued books: After you issue the book with the process mentioned in the above paragraph, all the issued books with respective details can be viewed with this functionality.
- After selecting the return books option, you need to enter the book id and select the return date from the calendar selection. There are two variations to this: If the book is returned on time, then it will display the message of the book returned. If the book is returned later than the mentioned date, the system will display the message of the fine payment with the amount to be paid. The details of the fine payment can also be viewed in ‘View issued books’.
- Adding the book to the system can be done here with all the details of the book, name, price, genre, etc. It can be viewed in the ‘view books’ section thereafter.
The logic and process flow described here are for a simple Library Management System Project in Java. It can always be tweaked as per the logic required.
Read our Popular Articles related to Software Development
Benefits of working on Java program for library management system using inheritance
There are many advantages of working on a Java program for library management system using inheritance. This is a programming model that allows you to build an application by inheriting the functionality and data of an existing one. It’s like building a tree, where each layer of the tree is an inheritance and each branch is a class. As you build up the tree, you can create separate branches and they will share the same data. If you need to change the data on any branch, you only need to make changes on one place instead of all places in the tree. This saves time and money because it reduces the amount of coding you have to do. And also with that help, you can save more time for other tasks. All in all, knowing how to build library inventory management in Java gives you knowledge and insight into many other complex tasks that you can solve using the same approach. Library management system java acts as the perfect source for beginners to get started with hardcore java programming. The library management system code in Java explained in the article has been written in a way to give even beginners a taste of how to build library management system Java in the most efficient manner.
Know more: 20 Exciting Software Development Project Ideas & Topics for Beginners
A Library Management System Project in Java is one of the various systems developed that has numerous functionalities that meet the current requirements of the present-day library system. To enhance it, you can add features like RFID, SMS to remind users of the return date, and others. Java has many features that can be explored to create such wonderful programs.
With the assistance of quality training of experts at upGrad, you can explore newer dimensions and dive deep into the programming world to grab the opportunity you desired. We partner with giants in the industry like Tech Mahindra to provide you with the ultimate practical experience of the industry.
If you wish to improve your Java skills, you need to get your hands on these java projects. If you’re interested to learn more about Java, full-stack development, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s PG Diploma in Full-stack Software Development which is designed for working professionals and offers 500+ hours of rigorous training, 9+ projects and assignments, IIIT-B Alumni status, practical hands-on capstone projects & job assistance with top firms.
1. Why is there a need for a Library Management System?
The primary need of having a Library Management System is to crop down the costs and effectively operate it without any hassle. The software embedded will cut down manual efforts and hence, will account for fewer errors. Working and managing a library manually could be tedious; adding more to the paperwork. Therefore, when we use a custom-built software, the entire process becomes smooth and efficient.
2. How good of an investment will it be for libraries to opt for a Library Management System?
Having a Library Management System for every school and college is strongly recommended. To begin with, having a system makes it easier to manage your data as you can control and manage your database, descriptive details, catalogs of members, book movements, and books respectively. Additionally, manually entering data is time-consuming and therefore, using a management system software, everything is just a click away. Moreover, universities and schools that function on fixed costs can invest in the library management system for once and can draw fruitful benefits for lifetime. Finally, database management, productivity, real-time communication, etc. are some other contributing factors to having an LMS.
3. What factors determine the cost of building a Library Management System?
To determine the cost of creating a Library Management Software application, there are some aspects that need attention. The first is, the size of the app and the number of features you would integrate into it; depending on the extensive features, the cost will increase significantly. Secondly, platforms also play a major role in deciding the cost of building an app; if you want your app for either Android or iOS, the cost will be less. However, an increase in the number of platforms will partially contribute to increasing the cost.