If you wish to start your tech journey with Python, you’ll have to learn the theoretical concepts and simultaneously execute your knowledge in real-world projects. This blog lists ten real-time Python projects that will help you polish your coding skills and add value to your CV.
Python Project Ideas
Here are some exciting and valuable Python Project Ideas from beginner to advanced level:
1. The Hangman Game
One of the best and classic real-time python projects that you must give a try is the hangman game. It is a guessing game played by two or more players. One player thinks of a word or a sentence and writes it down with some alphabet missing from the word.
The other players must guess that word by alphabet from A-Z and fill it in the missing positions. If the other player guesses the correct alphabet, it appears in the missing space. When the player correctly serves all the missing alphabets, the man gets hung, and the player wins.
The hangman game is a beginner-level python project because it does not require any complex coding. It only involves python loop functions. Here is your step-by-step guide to creating the hangman game with Python.
- Create a project name in Pycharm IDE (Python Integrated Development Environment).
- Now, create a new python file.
- After this, you will have to enter the python code for the hangman.
To gain learning experience, you should first try writing the code on your own. However, if you get stuck, you can find the hangman code online.
2. Scientific Calculator with Python
Another python project for beginners is the scientific calculator. A scientific calculator is different from a digital calculator. They are used to solve complex engineering and mathematical problems quickly. Therefore, building a scientific calculator through Python is very useful.
You can build an advanced scientific calculator app for your desktop by using the Python Tkinter GUI script. Let us see how you can design a scientific calculator with Python:
- First, you need to download and install the python Tkinter module on your system. Tkinter is a python utility that is used to design the graphical user interface (GUI).
- The next step is drafting a window for the calculator that will comprise all buttons.
- After this, you need to design the buttons and place them on the application window.
- You then need to map the buttons with their functionalities and execute the code.
Anagram is a vocabulary game where the players have to make different small words from a bigger word. You can also build an anagram by using the Python language. In Python, an anagram is made with the help of strings. If the characters of one string can be rearranged to form another string, it is called an anagram, such as late and tale.
To design an anagram, you must know python strings. You must also ensure that all the characters are lowercase or uppercase because T and t are different Python characters. Therefore, to build an anagram, the characters of the strings must be interchangeable. You can use the lower () to convert the characters into lower case.
There are four techniques to design an anagram in Python.
- First is the counter method technique in which the word count of both the strings is the same.
- Next is the sort technique, where the values in both strings are sorted to match each other.
- The positional verification technique calculates the position of characters in the string.
- Last is the reverse anagram technique, which is rarely used. In this, one string is reversed to match the other string, and an anagram is formed.
4. Password Generator
Since most websites or platforms make it mandatory for their users to enter special characters, upper case and lower case characters while generating their password, a password generator comes in handy. Moreover, due to increased cyber security threats, it has become necessary to use a password generator to create strong passwords.
Following are the steps to design a password generator using Python.
- You can use the string python module and store characters in a list.
- After this, you need to enter the length of the password. It should ideally be between 8-12 characters.
- The next step is to shuffle the characters to build a strong password randomly.
- No, create an empty list to store the password and then reshuffle it.
- Use the join method to convert the list to string and then print the password.
5. Location finder
Another interesting Python project is the location finder using a phone number. Through this app, you will be able to find that a phone number is from which country. Following are the steps to design a location finder with Python:
- First, you have to name a project in Python and create a file.
- The next step is installing the Python libraries; pip installs python-tk, phone-iso3166, and pycountry. The phone-iso3166 will help figure the alpha_2 letters of a country, whereas the pycountry library will find out the country name.
- Now, you have to enter the logic code to create an app and design its GUI.
- After successfully running the code, you will get an app to enter mobile numbers to find out their location.
6. Calories Tracker
Since people are becoming more aware of their health, building a calorie tracker with Python is a fantastic project idea. You can create a calorie tracker in Python with the help of Django, an open-source web development Python framework. To construct a calorie tracker, you must know the basic concepts of Python, Django framework, HTML, bootstrap, and CSS.
Here are the steps to create a calories tracker using Python:
- First, you need to create a Python file and install pip Django and pip Django-filters libraries.
- You can find out the code for designing a calorie tracker online.
- You have to write down a model that will store information about different food items, the items consumed by an individual, and their calorie intake.
- Now, you can upload the model using the Django admin site.
7. Speech To Text Converter with Python
A speech-to-text converter is another practical Python project. To work on this project, you should be familiar with speech recognition APIs (application planning interfaces) like Google cloud speech. Here is how you can design a speech-to-text converter with Python.
- To begin with, you will have to install the pip3 install SpeechRecognition pydub library. It supports various speech recognition engines like Google Speech Recognition, Google Cloud Speech API, Wit.ai, and Microsoft Bing Voice Recognition.
- Load a sample audio file and initialize the function using the init() function.
- Now, you have to enter the code for speech-to-text conversion and run it.
8. Creating a Chatbot Through Python
Chatbots have become popular in e-commerce businesses to resolve customer grievances. Here is how you can build a Chatbot using Python:
- The first step is to download the chatterbot library and chatterbot corpus. The bots use the corpus to train themselves through different inputs or responses.
- Next, you have to name your chatbot by creating the chatbot object.
- Now, use the SQL storage adapter to create a dataset.
- You need to train the chatbot by uploading various datasets.
- Lastly, you have to test the chatbot by creating a loop.
9. Music Player
You can also create an MP3 music player with Python. Following are the steps to build a music player.
- First, you have to create an environment directory and install the Pygame module.
- Next, you need to create a window and enter the command for music selection.
- Now you have to develop commands like play, pause and stop for the music player.
- Lastly, you need to go to the terminal to activate the environment to run the music player.
10. Extract Text from Image
To create an app from Python that extracts text from an image, you need to have basic knowledge of Tesseract, OpenCV, and Tkinter.
- First, you will have to install the libraries mentioned above.
- Then use the extract function that will read and resize the image.
- After processing, you need to use the image_to_data() function, and a string of extracted text from the image pops up.
- Lastly, you have to split the string and get the extracted text from the image.
Python has a simple syntax and is hence a beginner-friendly language. Not just that, developers of all experience levels worldwide used Python to build robust applications and software tools. Thus, mastering Python will only help you reap numerous benefits. You can bag high-profile software development and data science jobs and design meaningful tools to help solve real-world problems. Such beginner-level projects are an excellent way to start your Python journey.
Another lucrative option for Python aspirants is a professional certification course. For instance, upGrad’s Executive PG Program in Data Science will be an ideal course for those who want to learn practical skills required in data science or engineering. You can choose from three specializations – deep learning, data analytics, and data engineering.