In the ever-expanding field of Web Development, it is crucial to keep pace with the latest trends in the domain. While we’ve heard at lengths about frontend development, backend development, and full-stack development, there’s another branch of Web Development that is often overlooked – MEAN Stack Development.
Technologies under the MEAN Stack include:
- MongoDB – To handle the database of web applications.
- Express.js – To build APIs for web applications.
- Angular.js – It is used for building dynamic one-page applications while saving the time needed to write lengthy code.
- Node.js – It handles and manages the server-side framework and requirements.
Why learn MEAN Stack Development?
Furthermore, MEAN Stack is not only open-source but also user-friendly. It provides a quick and organized method for creating dynamic websites and rapid prototypes for web-based applications. Hence, it is a good idea to invest your time in learning MEAN Stack development to enhance and expand your career opportunities in Web Development.
Who is a MEAN Stack Developer?
As we mentioned earlier, MEAN Stack Development falls under full-stack development. Hence, a MEAN Stack Developer is essentially a full-stack developer with an exclusive focus on MEAN stack. While full-stack developers usually have a broader scope of knowledge (including different development frameworks and programming languages), MEAN Stack Developers focus on the four core technologies comprising the MEAN Stack, that is, MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, and Node.js.
Responsibilities of a MEAN Stack Developer
- To design, develop, test, and deploy robust web applications that are fast, scalable, and highly responsive.
- To write clean and functional code for both frontend and backend.
- To design client-side and server-side architectures.
- To define the code architecture decisions for facilitating high-performance and scalable web products.
- To work in close collaboration with engineers, researchers, and data specialists to design and create advanced and innovative systems.
- To implement, fine-tune, and integrate development environment tools and software as and when needed.
- To design and maintain large and complex databases (both relational and non-relational).
- To deploy applications on cloud platforms like AWS while also being able to debug hosting related issues.
- To write detailed technical documentation.
- To Troubleshoot, debug, and upgrade software.
- To address and fix technical issues, if any.
Skills Required to be a MEAN Stack Developer
A MEAN Stack Developer must possess the following skills:
- In-depth understanding of database architecture.
- In-depth understanding of frontend and backend processes.
- Hands-on experience in working with MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, and Node.js.
- Well-versed with programming templates and architecture design guidelines.
- Extensive knowledge of Web Development, continuous integration, and cloud technology.
- Extensive knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and also in Agile methodology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with a creative bent of mind.
How to Become a MEAN Stack Developer?
To become a MEAN Stack Developer, first, you need to acquire the skills we’ve mentioned above. Here are five things that require your special attention:
- You must learn how to use the different development frameworks and third-party libraries such as JAVA Spring, MyBatis, Hibernate, Django, PHP, Node.js Express, etc.
- A MEAN Stack Developer must be well-versed in at least one or two databases. Try to get handsy with the trending databases like Oracle, MongoDB, Redis, and SQLServer.
- It is also crucial to have a foundational knowledge of the standard design templates and requirements (basic prototype design, UI design, and UX design). This will help you to build user-friendly websites and web applications.
Becoming a MEAN Stack Developer is a long process. Usually, you will need a few years of industry experience as a MEAN Stack/Full-Stack Developer to get hired by reputed companies. Constant upskilling and learning about the latest trends in the domain of Web Development are pivotal to become a successful and competent MEAN Stack Developer.
MEAN Stack Developer Salary in India
The salary of MEAN Stack Developers in India is determined by their educational qualifications, skill set, industry experience, and also the company size and job location.
The average annual salary of a MEAN Stack Developer in India is roughly around Rs. 5.3 – 6.4 LPA. Freshers (having 0-2 years of experience) can earn a starting salary of Rs. 3.7 – 5 LPA. However, professionals who have 4-6 years of field experience usually make between Rs. 6.8 – 9.2 LPA, and those with over 8-10 years of experience earn an average annual salary ranging between Rs. 15 – 22 LPA.
While Bengaluru offers the highest salary to mid and high-level professionals in MEAN Stack Development, it is closely followed by Mumbai. Delhi and Pune offer the least salary packages to entry-level developers.
With attractive salary packages and promising growth opportunities, the job profile of a MEAN Stack Developer is an excellent career choice.
Mastering full-stack languages and tools are important to become a mean stack developer. The journey of being a full-stack developer is a challenging but rewarding one as well. The creative and financial opportunities truly make this one of the best careers out there is one has the passion to pursue it. If you have the passion to create intelligent chatbots, fintech wallets, and more, check out the full-stack software development PG course from upGrad.