R is a programming language that is becoming very popular in the data analytics and data science field. There is no denying that there are umpteenth number of opportunities in data science for you to explore if you possess the right skill set. With good command over the R language, you can take various job roles such as data analyst, statisticians, and data scientist. As of today, these are the highly paid job roles in the market. Career in R is an excellent choice even for those who are already in the data science domain and looking to upgrade their career to the next level.
If you still have doubts about whether learning an R programming language is worth it or not. In that case, this article will help you in taking all your worries away, explain how R language has been a game-changer in the industry and will give you deep insight into the need to learn and look for career options in R.
Check out: R Project Ideas for Beginners
Why is the R Language so Popular?
We all live in a world that is driven by data and technology. Almost 2.5 quintillion bytes of data gets generated every day. Companies utilize this large pool of data to create a powerful impact on their business growth. Hence, they are always on a lookout to find people who have the relevant skills to analyze this raw and unstructured data and provide meaningful insights.
It is not always easy to work with these complex data sets without knowing statistical computing. Hence, a tool is required that can help you in statistical visualization. R has the salient features of statistical computing and is an excellent choice for such data visualization tools as it makes it easier to analyze large complex data sets. If you want to get a stronghold in the data science world, you must learn and make a career in R.
Following are the reasons that will explain why you should learn and make a career in R:
· According to IEEE Spectrum’s survey, R ranks seventh among the top ten programming languages of 2018.
· It is the most sought and popular programming language that is used mainly in the data science and analytics industry, making career options in R innumerable.
· R is a free, open-source language that can be easily downloaded from the internet and run on several operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Macintosh, etc.
· R has a very vast and big community. You may have seen many seminars and boot camps being organized across the world that facilitate R education.
Read: R Tutorial For Beginners
How R Programming Language a Game Changer in Data Science?
R is a free, open-source language that is contributed by many people around the world through forums, seminars, social media, conferences, and boot camps. The community is expanding continuously, and many people are contributing to R development. This has made R secure a place in the list of top ten programming languages. Due to its cross-platform compatibility, package diversity, and outstanding graphical output features, it has become the first choice for the data science and analytics industry.
Here is a list of reasons that makes R the game-changer:
- The open-source nature of the R language provides a boost to companies who are looking to innovate. R includes all the functions that are required for data science applications such as visualization, modelling, forecasting, etc.
- Earlier R was used extensively in academia for research purposes as it offers several tools for analysis. With the continuous increase in data analysis demand, R has become the priority for developers in commercial sectors as well.
- R has various inbuilt libraries and packages that make data wrangling an easy task. Hence, it is given preference in the data science community.
- With strong demand and intense competition in the market, companies who previously depended on legacy platforms for computational and statistical analysis are now making a shift to R. By far, R has been adopted by more than 2 million professionals across the world.
What Education to Choose to Start a Career in R Language?
You do not have to go through any special education to learn R. However, if you understand programming language well, it becomes easier and faster to learn R as you will grasp logic fast. It is also a good idea to start coding with real-world problems so that you can relate to it. The following three skills will help you catch things faster:
· Statistical and Mathematical Knowledge
· Understanding of different type of graphs that are used for data representation
· Basic understanding of any programming language
Big Companies that Are Using R
Here is a list of a few big companies that are using an R programming language for their data analysis and creating great opportunities for a career in R.
· Google: Google is using R to calculate returns on advertising campaigns and to enhance online advertising efficiency.
· Facebook: Facebook is using R for updating the status and social network graph.
· Microsoft: Microsoft is also using R for its Azure machine learning framework.
the next biggest thing
· Twitter: Twitter is using R for statistical data modelling.
· John Deere: John Deere is using R for geospatial analysis.
· Ford Motors: Ford Motors is using R for statistical analysis.
· Mozilla: Mozilla is using R to visualize the web activity of the Firefox web browser.
What Are the Job Prospects of R Programming Language?
In this technology and data-driven world, data analysts are changing the face of business intelligence. The huge quantity of data availability has made data analysis or science professionals crucial to product development. As a result, the hiring of data science professionals has increased at a massive rate.
R programming language is the primary choice for professionals who are engaged in data analysis as it offers several benefits. There are endless opportunities for both novice and expert R professionals to explore. Some of the big and famous companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. have adopted the R language to fulfil their analytical business goals.
Hence, it is evident that R programming language can land you an opportunity in one of the most popular companies in India as well as overseas. If you are curious to know about R professionals’ salary in India and subsequently why a career in R is a great option, do read the article R Developer Salary in India: For Freshers & Experienced.
What are the Job Roles in R?
Knowledge in R not only helps you secure a job in the IT industry but also opens the door to several other opportunities where data is used at a large scale to create analytics-based solutions such as healthcare, banks, education, financial sector, government departments, etc. R professionals are in high demand all over the world. Here is the list of positions that are available for R professionals, proving the multifaceted career options in R.
Data scientists are the professionals who extract data from multiple sources, clean it, transform it into a structured and readable format, analyze it, and derive meaningful and useful insights from it. In today’s competitive world, it is the most demanding job role for R professionals. Due to a lack of knowledge and the right expertise, many data scientist positions remain vacant every year.
A data analyst is one who has a good understanding of handling complex data sets and possesses good technical and analytical knowledge. Data analysts are responsible for extracting and mining datasets to provide insights that help the company in making business decisions. R statistical libraries help big time in achieving such results. Hence, there will be a boom in demand for R professionals. If IBM and Burning Glass report to be believed, the number of positions for data analysts in the United States will increase to 2,720,000 by 2020.
A business analyst is the one who creates technical solutions for various business problems. Their job role demands to develop solutions to advance the efforts of the company and fulfil the business requirements. Due to R’s extensive package, R provides various tools that are used for business intelligence solutions.
A quantitative analyst is one who is positioned in finance, telecom, and banking organizations. Since R is used extensively for statistical computation, which makes it ideal to use for quantitative analysis.
Data Visualization Analyst
R’s provides a ggplot2 package which is most famous for data visualization. R has some other packages (for example, plotly) as well that provide visually appealing graphs and plots to their users.
In this article, we went through the importance of R in the data science world and gave insights about how learning R language can help you get a job in one of the big firms with a huge salary and excellent benefits. In the end, we conclude that R is an excellent platform for professionals who are engaged in statistical data analysis.
With the advancement in the data science and analysis field, the popularity of making a career in R is going to increase. Companies are opening a lot of new positions for professionals who have a good understanding of R language and are also encouraging their staff to get engaged in the training program, online, or classroom courses to build their expertise in the R language.
The shortage of people with the right expertise is a sign that you should start learning R at the earliest to kick start your bright career in the data science or machine language field.
If you are interested in learning R, Python & complete Data Science and opt for a career in this field, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s PG Diploma in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.