Python is not only one of the most popular programming languages across the globe, but it is one that offers the most promising career opportunities as well. This demand for Python developers is increasing every year. There is a reason why this high-level programming language is so popular.
It ensures better and more concise codes with faster readability, something that no other programming language can offer. Even a shorter code written in python can deliver better designs. Python is also one of the best tools for creating dynamic scripts on large as well as small scales.
Python can be used in several areas, including testing, web development, app development and upgrades, and scriptwriting, to name a few. Python’s automatic memory management and dynamic type system support different programming standards. If you acquire this skill, you will have more Python career opportunities than you can imagine. Python opens for you several avenues that no other programming language can.
You can become a software developer who excels in python or a data scientist who uses this language to make data more valuable for businesses. Whether you are an experienced Python developer or someone who has just completed education, you will never be out of opportunities.
Our focus in this blog will be to discuss the opportunities that a career in python offers you. We will study the different career options that you will have open before you after acquiring this skill.
Why should you make a career in python?
The biggest thing that most developers love about python is how quickly they can learn this programming and scripting language and how easily they can use that learning in actual projects. It is a programming language that significantly cuts down on the total development time. No other programming language offers this benefit.
In addition, python has several APIs and libraries to support a lot of other things than development, including data manipulation, data analysis, and data visualization, amongst others. No wonder Python is so popular not only amongst the developer community but also amongst professionals associated with other fields, such as data analytics and data science.
Python is found to one of the most popular programming frameworks for data science across the world. It is also one of the best programming languages when it comes to adaptability. However, there is still a significant gap between the supply and demand of professionals skilled in python. This skill gap not only exists in India but across the world.
Even the most popular software development companies in India don’t have the required resources that are skilled in python. While the language is gaining popularity, there is still not enough interest in pursuing a course or certification in acquiring this skill to start a career. It is a lucrative career option that more and more people should think about pursuing.
Let’s now add a little weight to what we have been saying.
Python Job and Salary Trends in India
So the average salary of a software developer with Python skills is around 5,80,000 per annum. This figure can go way beyond Rs 1,000,000 per annum if you have the right experience and additional skills. Other important things that matter include your job location, relevant certifications, and employer.
If you are able to strike a balance, you will not have to think too much about your salary after that. You will have the opportunity to work with the world’s most popular names, such as Amazon, Accenture, Cognizant, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, and others. Your career will continue to grow as you gain more experience.
A senior software developer as much as Rs 2,000,000 per annum, provided they also have team and project management capabilities. Web developer with Python skills can also earn in the range of Rs 8,00,000 per annum. Other related job roles include lead software engineer (up to Rs 2,000,000 per annum), data scientist (Rs 7,00,000 per annum), machine learning engineer (Rs 6,70,000 per annum), data analyst (4,17,000 per annum), and more.
The popularity of python can be gauged by the fact that it is used by some of the biggest names in the world – Facebook, Netflix, Google, and Spotify, amongst others. This points towards one thing – As a professional skilled in python, you will have your chance of working with one of your dream companies.
So as you can clearly see, the scope of python is not only all the various career options available in front of you but also the salary you have the chance to earn. As we have talked about the salaries that you can expect to earn with this skill, let us now take a look at all the career opportunities available for you to choose from.
Several blogs and forums run by the developer community have given python the heads up when it comes to the top languages to learn. It has consolidated its position over the years. Python is a versatile programming language that can be used in a variety of fields, such as software development, government administration, business, science, arts, education, and others.
According to Naukri.com, there were more than 75,000 open jobs for Python developers in India at the end of 2019. Similarly, the open jobs for Python web developers were around 7000 around the same time. The job portal also reported around 108k open jobs for a software developer with Python skills.
Other job roles include data scientists (58,000 open jobs), business analyst (98,000 open jobs), and machine learning engineers (64,000 open jobs). Clearly, a professional skilled in python will have several job opportunities to choose from. If you have this skill, you will never be out of work.
Let’s now discuss a few job profiles that require Python skills.
Python Career Opportunities
So what are the options in front of you when you complete your Python learning? Here are a few job roles that you can fill:
- Python developer: This is one of the most direct jobs that you can expect to land after acquiring this skill. The stats that we shared in the last section clearly tell you that you will always have open Python developer positions to fill. What does a Python developer do? Here are a few key responsibilities:
- Build websites
- Resolve problems related to data analytics
- Write codes that are both reusable and efficient
- Optimize data algorithms
- Implement data protection and security
- Data analyst: This is a very interesting opportunity. It is especially for those who like working with huge amounts of data and finding meaning in that data. This is again a very popular job role. There are many companies that are looking for people who can work with the large sets of data that they have access to. These companies are looking for people skilled in Python because Pandas, SciPy, and other Python libraries come in very handy in accomplishing this task. No wonder more and more companies are looking for data analysts with experience in python to fill open positions.
- Product manager: Product managers have a very important role to play when it comes to helping businesses to understand the market and why building one product will be better than building another. They study the market, research for new features related to a particular product or category, and advocate the building of certain products with facts. Data is a very important part of the work they do. This is why most companies today are looking for product managers that are skilled in python.
- Machine learning engineer: If you don’t already know, then let us tell you that the job postings for this position have increased by more than 330% in the last couple of years. If you are skilled in python, you will be given preference over other candidates. A machine learning engineer builds and trains machines, programs, and other computer-based systems to apply their learned knowledge for making predictions. Python’s ability to work with data automation and algorithms makes it the ideal programming language that can be used in machine learning.
Must Read: Python Interview Questions
What does the future have in store for Python professionals?
Businesses not only in India but across the world are looking for skilled Python professionals who can make the difference when it comes to coming up with solutions that fall exactly in line with the needs of their clients. The popularity of python is for everyone to see, and the competitive edge it has been able to gain over other programming languages in recent years says a lot about its capabilities.
Data science, big data, and networking are three areas in which the application of python is expected to grow in the times to come. However, you can’t just limit its growth to just these three areas. All the three areas that we have mentioned above are areas that are amongst the most popular these days.
So the salaries that you can expect when employed in one of these roles can go beyond the salaries of the jobs that require proficiency in other languages. Even if you are a freelancer, you can earn what your skills and experience warrant. And if you don’t have this popular skill, you should spend more time in adding it to your arsenal. This skill on your resume will help you get hired quickly as opposed to others.
In this blog, we have discussed various aspects of a career in python. We have provided you information about the salaries that you can expect to earn in different job roles requiring Python skills as well as a lowdown on the number of job opportunities available. We also discussed the options that you can choose as a skilled Python professional depending on your interests.
If you are curious to learn about Python, everything about data science, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s PG Diploma in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.