Wondering what is the range of Data Scientist salary in India?
Career opportunities in data have exponentially grown in the recent few years. Companies are eager to capture data and derive insights from it because of the technological advancements we are seeing. Accessibility of the data today can help to reap multiple benefits organizations from it. Because of this reason, companies are not shying away from offering increased data scientist salary in India. Companies are throwing huge salaries at those having skills to take on the positions of Data Analysts, Scientists, Engineers, etc.
India is the second-highest country to recruit employees in the field of data science or data analytics, etc. with 50,000 positions available – second only to the United States. The demand for data experts is equally competitive, whether you look at the big companies, the e-commerce industry or even start-ups.
Thus, if you have the required skillset and are ready to keep yourself updated, your career as a Data Scientist is expected to keep growing onwards and upwards. This line stands true especially when we consider that a data scientist salary in India is directly or indirectly dependent on how upskilled and updated they are.
We are sure, this must-have sparked a will to become a Data Scientist within you! Let’s take a look at who exactly is a Data Scientist and what is a typical Data Scientist salary in India?
Who is a Data Scientist & What Do They Do?
Data Scientists are inherently analytical data experts equipped with the requisite skills to solve complex problems complemented with the unquenching thirst for exploring a wide array of issues that need to be addressed. They are highly skilled individuals combining the best of both worlds – IT and business. Hence, data scientists are part computer scientists, part mathematicians, and part trend-analysers. Because of the demand, data scientist salary in India is one of the highest.
Requisite skills for a data scientist
- Knowledge of algorithms, statistics, mathematics and machine learning.
- Programming languages such as R, Python, SQL, SAS, and Hive.
- Business understanding and the aptitude to frame the right questions to ask, and find answers in the available data.
- Communication skills in order communicate the results effectively to the rest of the team.
Data Science Job Roles
1. Data Scientists
Data science is basically statistics implemented through programming. Alongside R, Python has also shown its mettle in sorting out data as per generic as well as specific requirements. As far as India is concerned, Python programmers for data science earn more than both software developers as well as DevOps programmers. The reason for this is that data collection, data cleaning and processing is becoming very common nowadays as companies need data to gather market and customer information.
This requires a niche of Python programmers who are specially trained in the collection and processing of data through libraries like NumPy and Pandas. Data scientists are in high demand in major metros like Delhi-NCR and Mumbai and emerging cities such as Pune and Bangalore.
Responsibilities of Data Scientists
- Gathering vast amounts of structured and unstructured data and converting them into actionable insights.
- Identifying the data-analytics solutions that hold the most significant potential to drive the growth of organisations.
- Using analytical techniques like text analytics, machine learning, and deep learning to analyse data, thereby unravelling hidden patterns and trends.
- Encouraging data-driven approach to solving complex business problems.
- Cleansing and validating data to optimise data accuracy and efficacy.
- Communicating all the productive observations and findings to the company stakeholders via data visualisation.
Data Scientists Salary Range in India
The average data scientists salary is ₹698,412. An entry-level data scientist can earn around ₹500,000 per annum with less than one year of experience. Early level data scientists with 1 to 4 years experience get around ₹610,811 per annum.
A mid-level data scientist with 5 to 9 years experience earns ₹1,004,082 per annum in India. As your experience and skills grow, your earnings rise dramatically as senior-level data scientists around more than ₹1,700,000 a year in India!
2. Data Engineers
The primary job of a Data Engineer is to design and engineer a reliable infrastructure for transforming data into such formats as can be used by Data Scientists. Apart from building scalable pipelines to covert semi-structured and unstructured data into usable formats, Data Engineers must also identify meaningful trends in large datasets. Essentially, Data Engineers work to prepare and make raw data more useful for analytical or operational uses. There are many myths about data engineers and most of them are far from reality.
In an organization, the position of a Data Engineer is as vital as that of a Data Scientist. The only reason why Data Engineers remain away from the limelight is that they have no direct link to the end product of the analysis.
Responsibilities of Data Engineers
- Integrate, consolidate, and cleanse data collected from multiple sources.
- Prepare raw data for manipulation and predictive/prescriptive modeling by Data Scientists.
- Develop the necessary infrastructure for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from disparate sources using SQL, AWS, and other Big Data technologies.
- Deploy sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning algorithms, and statistical techniques to build data pipelines.
- Assemble vast and complex data sets to cater to the functional and non-functional business requirements.
- Identify and develop innovative ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Develop, construct, test, and maintain data architectures.
Skills required to be a Data Engineer
- Active project management and organizational skills.
- Strong analytic skills to handle and work with large, unstructured datasets.
- Strong programming flair in trending languages, including Python, Java, C++, Scala, Ruby, etc.
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL, along with experience in working with relational databases.
- Proficiency in working with a wide variety of databases.
Data Engineer Salary Range in India
According to Glassdoor, the average Data Engineer salary in India is Rs.8,56,643 LPA. But of course, the Data Engineer salary depends on several factors, including company size and reputation, geographical location, education qualifications, job position, and work experience. Reputed companies and big players in the Big Data industry like Amazon, Airbnb, Spotify, Netflix, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte, and Capgemini, to name a few, usually pay high compensation to Data Engineers. Also, the more your past work experience in Big Data, the higher will be your market value.
“While IT firms have shown a negative trend, the demand for data engineering professionals has increased across the companies, resulting in a significant jump in their salary structure. Whereas for salaries across analytics skills, advanced analytics roles and predictive modeling professionals grabbed the limelight compared to other roles.”
As for Data Engineers in their early career (1-4 years of experience), they make anywhere around Rs.7,37,257 LPA. As they proceed to mid-level (with 5-9 years of experience), the salary of a Data Engineer becomes Rs.1,218,983 LPA. Data Engineers having over 15 years of work experience can make more than Rs.1,579,282 LPA.
3. Data Analyst
Data Analysts are professionals who translate numbers, statistics, figures, into plain English for everyone to understand.
Given the circumstances, there’s always an increasing scope for Data Analysts at the workplace, and it may be an excellent choice for those who have a strong foothold in mathematics, statistics, computer science or business backgrounds. This position includes data mining, fluency in languages like SQL, Python, etc. to extract the relevant insights from the data sets as well as channeling those ideas through visualizations and reports.
Data Analyst Responsibilities
- To analyze and mine business data to identify correlations and discover valuable patterns from disparate data points.
- To work with customer-centric algorithm models and personalize them to fit individual customer requirements.
- To create and deploy custom models to uncover answers to business matters such as marketing strategies and their performance, customer taste, and preference patterns, etc.
- To map and trace data from multiple systems to solve specific business problems.
- To write SQL queries to extract data from the data warehouse and to identify the answers to complex business issues.
- To apply statistical analysis methods to conduct consumer data research and analytics.
Data Analyst Salary in India
For a data analyst in India, having 1 – 4 years of experience has a gross earning (including tips, bonus and overtime pay) of Rs 3,96,128, while a mid-career Data Analyst with 5 – 9 years of experience can make up to Rs 6,03,120 based on the organization and the location of the working place. And if you are a matured and experienced Data Analyst who has been in the industry or 10 – 19 years can earn an average total compensation of Rs 9,00,000.
– 78% of the analytics professionals in India are under the salary bracket of 0 – 6 Lakhs at their entry level, but since there has been a rise in the number of freshers in Data Analysis in India, this is an excellent indication for maturing the industry.
– The salaries for 4 – 6 years of experienced remain stable at 8.7 Lakhs.
– For the Senior Data Analyst having substantial experience of 12 or more years has witnessed a sharp 20% rise in their salaries last year.
Key Reasons to Become a Data Scientist
1. Highly in-demand field
Data Science is one of the most in-demand jobs for 2020. It is predicted that by 2026, data science and analytics would be having more than 11 million jobs. After the United States, India is the second prominent hub of jobs for data scientists.
2. Highly Paid & Diverse Roles
Not only is the demand for data scientists booming, but the kinds of job positions are also abundant.
3. Evolving workplace environments
Data science is shaping the workplace of the future. With the advent of artificial intelligence and robotics, more and more routine and manual tasks are getting automated. Data science technologies have made it possible to train machines in performing repetitive tasks as humans take on more critical thinking and problem-solving roles.
4. Improving product standards
Usage of machine learning has enabled companies to customize their offerings and enhance customer experiences.
5. Helping the world
Predictive analytics and machine learning have revolutionized the healthcare industry. Data science is saving lives by enabling early detection of tumors, organ anomalies, and more.
Factors Affecting Data Scientist Salary in India
Data Scientist salaries in India can be affected by multiple factors. Let’s see some primary salary affecting factors:
Data Scientist Salary by Location
The number of job opportunities and the annual data scientist salary in India for data innovators is the highest in Mumbai, followed by Bangalore and New Delhi. However, since Bangalore is the startup capital of India, it has the most opportunities for jobs in startups. A data scientist’s salary in Bangalore would more likely to be higher than the other cities as it is considered to be the hub of the tech industry of India.
According to Payscale, Data scientist salary in India based on location:
- Mumbai – ₹788,789
- Chennai – ₹794,403
- Bangalore – ₹984,488
- Hyderabad – ₹795,023
- Pune – ₹725,146
- Kolkata – ₹402,978
Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad are among the highest-paying cities for the Data Scientists in India
Data Scientist Salary by Experience
Let’s see how Data Scientist salary in India varies based on experience.
A career in data especially appeals to young IT professionals because of the positive correlation between years of work experience and higher-paying salaries. Salaries in the field of data might look something like the following, in the future:
- For a fresh graduate, the average entry-level data scientist salary in India is ₹511,468.
- An early career data scientist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average of ₹773,442 annually.
- An employee with 5-9 years of experience would have the potential to secure between INR 12-14 lakhs. According to payscale, the average mid-level data scientist salary is ₹1,367,306.
- A highly experienced employee with decades of experience or who has held managerial roles can expect anywhere from INR 24 lakhs up to a healthy crore of rupees!
A Data analyst’s salary increases by 50% with a transition/promotion from the role designated to them to a higher level.
Data Scientist Salary by Skills
In order to secure such a high-paying job, you are expected to go beyond the qualifications of a Master’s degree and be familiar with the respective languages and software utilized for managing data. Some more insights from AIM:
- The most important and coveted skill is being familiar with R followed by Python. Python salary in India alone promises of 10.2 lakhs INR.
- The combination of knowledge of Big Data and Data Science increases a Data Analyst’s salary by 26% compared to being skilled in only one of the areas.
- SAS users are paid between INR 9.1-10.8 lakhs versus SPSS experts earning INR 7.3 lakhs.
- Machine Learning salary in India starts from around 3.5 lakhs INR to if you grow in this field it can take a leap up to 16 lakhs INR. Python is one of the most recommended languages when it comes to ML, and to add to that, Python developers’ salary in India is among one of the highest.
- Extended knowledge of Artificial Intelligence can help you make a career overall. The Artificial Intelligence salary in India offers not less than 5-6 lakhs INR if you are a novice in this industry.
So, now is the time to master your skills in data in order to further optimize your salary!
Data Scientist Salary by Companies
Without a doubt, prestigious firms dominate the charts of the highest paying salaries for data jobs. They also hold a reputation for increasing salaries by 15%, annually. Some data from Quora:
- IBM Corp: INR 1,468,040
- Accenture: INR 1,986,586
- JP Morgan Chase and Co: INR 997,500
- American Express: INR 1,350,000
- McKinsey and Company: INR 1,080,000
- Impetus: INR 1,900,000
- Wipro Technology: INR 1,750,000
Data Scientist Salary in India
You can notice an exuberating hike in the Data Scientists salary in India. To sum up, even if you find a tad bit of curiosity in this enterprise, there are much higher chances for you to earn higher than your peers working in any other field.
Data Science is a much bigger umbrella that includes a vast variety of subjects that might interest you. From Data Analyst to Machine Learning Engineer, to even Python Developer. All of it comes under the umbrella of “Data Science”, and each of these positions is awarded a hefty salary, obviously, depending on their skillset.
Data Scientist Salary in Other Countries
Let’s look at the average data scientist salary in other countries.
Data Scientist Salary in The US: $96,072
Data Scientist Salary in The UK: £40,159
Salaries of Other Related Roles
Let’s look at the average salaries of other related roles compared to the Data Scientist salary in India.
Software engineer average salary in India: ₹510,982
Senior Business Analyst average salary in India: ₹975,409
Technical Consultant average salary in India: ₹895,842
IT Consultant average salary in India
The opportunities for Analysts and Data Scientists are currently at their prime in India. With the large volumes of data being generated by businesses and the availability of data and tools to extract it – and the urge to gain insights from it. It includes the rise in Data Analyst’s salary and Data Scientists salary India.
We hope you liked our article on Data Scientist salary in India. These numbers above are not set in stone. The real influencer of your salary is the skills you have, the mastery you have attained over them, and how quickly you grow and make the company grow as well.
You are likely to receive an annual bump up of around 15% in your salary. This will further increase with an increase in the years of work experience and the number of skills you’ve mastered. Therefore, whether you’re starting from scratch or you’re already experienced in the field of data. You’ll always have this motivating factor driving you in your career!
If you are curious about learning data science to be in the front of fast-paced technological advancements, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s PG Diploma in Data Science.
What is the salary of a data scientist in India?
The average salary for a data scientist in India is approximately Rs 7.0 Lacs. Factors affecting Data Scientist salary in India are experience, location, job role, and skillset.
What are the different job profiles of data science industry?
Here are some different data science job profiles you could look into: Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Data Analyst, Data Architect & Statistian. Data Science has seen a tremendous amount of development in the past few years.
Data Scientist salary based on Indian cities?
Bangalore is the dream city for data scientists with an average salary of ₹984,488. Hyderabad follows with ₹795,023. Chennai provides ₹794,403. The average salary of Mumbai is ₹788,789. Pune offers ₹725,146 per year.