The Spring Framework offers excellent features to level up your Java code and build fast, responsive, and secure web applications. And within this framework lie Spring projects that make enterprise applications better by addressing a wide range of issues, from configuration to big data. They help developers polish their coding skills and be more productive with their time.
Ever since its first iteration released in 2002, Spring has grown tremendously to become one of the most used Java frameworks across the world. This popularity boost has been made possible by its strengths as a practical application container and an intuitive administrator of architecture issues.
Read: Spring Interview Questions & Answers
If you are still a beginner, using the Spring framework can be challenging. But you can refine your understanding by reading the source code of real-world projects. So, here are some open-source Spring project ideas to structure and simplify your learning journey.
Check out our free courses to get an edge over the competition
Explore Our Software Development Free Courses
|Blockchain Technology||React for Beginners||Core Java Basics|
Top Spring Project Ideas & Topics For Beginners
1. Agile Express
This project will help you brush up your knowledge of Spring framework components and develop a clean code.
Software development often requires the collaborative effort of cross-functional teams. And Agile methodologies provide a conducive environment for that. Express, an Agile project management tool, focuses on iteration tracking and backlog support.
The iteration burndown chart shows the progress of each iteration, and a virtual wall displays the story tasks as they move through different stages (open, in process, test, done). As for the server-side component, it has a Spring-based Java EE application, which adds the much-needed scalability and reliability.
Check out upGrad’s Java BootcampLearn to build applications like Swiggy, Quora, IMDB and more
2. Project Sagan
The Sagan application powers the Spring.io website and boasts of thousands of daily users globally. If you go through the repository, which is freely available on GitHub, you can familiarize yourself with the Spring framework ecosystem. The Spring.io website also has a live demo on it. Additionally, this project can nudge you to try your hand at Gradle, Elasticsearch, thymeleaf User Interface, etc.
Check out upGrad’s Advanced Certification in DevOps
Learn about: Git vs Github: Difference Between Git and Github
It is one of the most popular open-source Spring Projects based on Spring and Hibernate. PowerStone is basically a Java Workflow Management System, and reading its source code can acquaint you with the inner workings of the Spring framework. The system is complete with an engine, a flow management console, a worklist, and an identity management module.
4. Broadleaf Commerce
This Spring-based Java platform can educate you about the modern architecture of e-commerce solutions. The wide range of features and technologies in Broadleaf Commerce pave the path for deep customization and rapid development of applications. Some of them include Spring Framework, Modular Design, Task Scheduling, Email, Workflow Configuration, Configuration Merging, Admin Platform, Content Management, etc.
upGrad’s Exclusive Software and Tech Webinar for you –
SAAS Business – What is So Different?
5. Spring PetClinic
PetClinic is a sample application that demonstrates the use of Spring Boot with MVC and Spring Data. If we go back to its origins, we find that it was created for the sole purpose of presenting what all you can do with Spring. So, cloning this Spring project can set you up for building simple database-oriented applications.
6. Tudu Lists
It is a simple project management tool that can be easily accessed, edited, and shared online. The Tudu Lists application makes the process of organizing tasks and managing to-do lists less cumbersome. Therefore, it is among the top sample Spring projects.
Read: 15 Must-Know Spring MVC Interview Questions
With this project, you can pick up more information on integrated solutions for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM). Plazma’s code is written in Java based on the Spring framework, apprising you of its comprehensive programming. The application will also instruct you about Hibernate using Oracle, MySQL, Firebird, and HSQL databases.
SpringSide is a good project option if you want to practice an enterprise application. It uses Spring, Hibernate, CXF, Struts, Jquery, Spring Security, and more. So, try your hand at this Pragmatic Enterprise Application KickStart to understand enterprise-wide solutions.
As the name suggests, OpenERP is an enterprise management software that offers a range of different IT tools to organizations. This project can assist you in keeping up with modern technologies, such as Spring, Hibernate, JSF, AJAX, Axis, Acegi, and Maven.
10. Spring Rich Client
Developing an industry-ready client application is a challenging task for newcomers. With a Java Swing framework like Spring Rich Client, you can make sense of how to construct an impressive desktop application using Spring.
Explore our Popular Software Engineering Courses
11. Java Small Business Platform
This platform is built on Spring and Spring RC, allowing you an in-depth look into pure java implementation. It is a preferred choice for assembling desktop and business applications for small and medium-sized organizations. Additionally, the software is light, modular, and easy to scale, plug, and configure.
Read more: A Beginner’s Guide to MVC Architecture in Java
12. Luigi Open Search Engine
This site search tool comprises a Lucene-based search library leveraged on the Spring framework. Spring makes way for effortless configuration along with intrusion-free application code. If you decide to undertake this project, you can also learn how to create indexes from any POJO collection and incorporate event-triggered updates.
The architecture of JOSSO is based on the Atricore IAM platform. It can not only configure and roll out services but can also reduce integration effort. Additionally, JOSSO is a flexible product that can realize SSO usage scenarios. So, you can delve into its code to know more about all these techniques.
If you are interested in learning about the intricate wirings of a web-based job-posting service, jRecruiter is for you. It is a showcase application that sheds light on a wide range of Java technologies. The Atlanta Java Users Group is an active user of this solution, which has been implemented using Spring, Struts 2, and Hibernate,
HSE is short for Hibernate, Spring, Echo2 – a multi-tier base application. Composed of a group and a user editor, it can cohesively integrate all three technologies to enable full-fledged solutions. This project will equip you in writing robust AJAX applications in Spring, Java, and Hibernate.
In-Demand Software Development Skills
- ZK framework
- Spring + Spring Security
- Model-View-Controller or MVC, and many more.
Suppose you want to actualize a simple intranet with user details and news publishing ability. You can begin by understanding and replicating the layered architecture of the HISPACTA web application. It consists of the following characteristics:
- Spring (Integration and AOP)
- Acegi Security
- Tapestry (Graphical User Interface)
- JUnit (Testing)
18. Alfresco Content Management
It is an open-source content management repository created using the latest Java technologies. Its modular architecture includes capabilities of document management, records management, etc. So, you can conveniently refine your understanding of CMS with this project.
Learn Software Development Courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Executive PG Programs, Advanced Certificate Programs or Masters Programs to fast-track your career.
Top Reasons why learning Spring Boot is important
Java programming has never been quicker, simpler, or safer thanks to Spring. Spring Boot is the world’s most widely used Java framework because of its emphasis on productivity and speed. Here are some of the top reasons why Spring boot in Java is a skill that should be acquired –
- It is most widely used – Programmers across the world favor the dynamic libraries provided by Spring. Every day, Spring provides enchanting experiences to millions of end customers, whether it be through streaming television, online shopping, or a variety of other cutting-edge solutions. All the major players in the IT industry, including Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and others, have contributed to Spring. Spring boot in Java is one of the most widely used frameworks.
- It is highly flexible – With the versatile and extensive range of libraries provided by Spring, developers may create practically any kind of application you can think of. The Dependency Injection (DI) and Inversion of Control (IoC) components of the Spring Framework serve as the basis for a broad range of features and capabilities. Even if you’re designing complicated streaming data flows for the business, Spring provides the tools to help.
- It is quick – Compared to other competing paradigms, the Spring framework makes it much easier and less cumbersome for developers. Some Spring tools like LiveReload can help developers create apps faster than before.
- It is productive – Java spring framework drastically streamlines your experience and changes the way you approach Java programming chores. Microservice development is made simple with Spring by combining essentials like an application environment and an embedded web server that is automatically configured. You can deploy microservices-based designs into the cloud securely and quickly by combining Spring with Spring Cloud’s extensive collection of supporting libraries.
- It is secure – Java spring framework has a past record of responding to security concerns promptly and responsibly. The Spring developers test and patch any disclosed flaws in conjunction with security experts. To keep your data and apps as secure as possible, third-party requirements are also constantly reviewed and released regularly. Additionally, Spring Security makes it simpler for you to provide dependable solutions that are safe by default and interact with industry-standard security frameworks.
- It is supportive – The Spring community is large, multi-cultural, and varied, and it includes people of all ages and skill levels, from novices to seasoned experts. You can discover the materials and assistance you need to further your career, no matter how far along your journey is. The presence of community support can significantly help you obtain training and certification that makes you an expert.
Read our Popular Articles related to Software Development
The above Spring project ideas can prove immensely helpful for coders and software developers. So, use these references as your learning resources and play with them to improve your technical skills.
If you’re interested to learn more about full stack development, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s Executive PG Program in Full-stack Software Development which is designed for working professionals and offers 500+ hours of rigorous training, 9+ projects and assignments, IIIT-B Alumni status, practical hands-on capstone projects & job assistance with top firms.
What is Spring Boot?
Spring Boot is essentially a micro framework that is built over the Spring framework as an open-source platform. It offers Java developers a platform that allows them to work on an automatically configurable Spring application that is ready to launch in enterprise-level production environments. With Spring Boot, developers can directly start without wasting time configuring and prepping their Spring application. Using Spring Boot helps developers shorten the length of the program and also makes it easier for them to execute Spring applications. This framework comes with a vast community which makes learning and adopting Spring Boot very easy and accessible.
Can Spring be a replacement for EJB?
Java Spring was developed to replace EJB, i.e. Enterprise Java Beans model and its bulky containers. Spring brought about various changes that the Java community had been seeking for a long time. Spring includes all components and features characteristic of EJB, which means it can effectively be used as a replacement for EJB. Spring incorporates proper object-oriented methodologies and allows switching over to other Data Integration frameworks based on different requirements. Besides, it also supports several transaction models like Hibernate, JTA, JDBC and JDO – things not supported by EJB. Spring is a better choice while developing applications that need various configurations along with container-level controls.
Should you learn Java first or Python?
Python comes with a very direct and simple syntax, whereas Java syntax is more complex. Python is excellent for starters if you are simply interested in acquiring a flavor of programming without delving too deep. But if you are interested in building regular applications and engineering, then learn Java first and then Python. That way, you can understand the core functioning of the programming and also how to make its code more readable and compact. Java is a better option to learn if you wish to develop mobile apps. Learning Java first and then going to Python is more comfortable than the other way round.