Gone are the days when your relatives and neighbours would look at you with scornful dismay when you inform them about your intention to pursue an MA in History.
Though you still cannot equate its popularity with an engineering or a medical degree – it will take time because the latter two have been hyped so much through generations.
If ancient civilizations attract you, and you have completed your bachelor’s in history or any other subject in the Arts and Humanities stream, there is no reason for you not to go ahead with the subject for your masters’ education.
MA in history is not just another accreditation or degree stamp that would sit ideal on your resume.
No, the times have changed! Today, just like in other fields, there are endless opportunities in history too. And, the good part is that MA History salary – that one factor every parent, relative, or acquaintance compares before being impressed with your achievements – is lucrative too.
Let’s start from the beginning, and understand how things are stirring up in history as a masters’ subject in India and globally.
MA In History
Masters of Arts in History is a post-graduation course that interested candidates are eligible to pursue after completing their graduation in history, or any other subject in the Humanities stream.
History is a subject where students get acquainted with the past, and get to see how the ancient world worked, and the relevance of the same in today’s world.
Scope After MA In History – A Comparative Look With Salary Details
This is one of the most respected professions, and has been so for ages now. After completing your Master’s Degree, you need to pass the NET exam to become a professional teacher.
If you wish to teach senior students, you can become a Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor, and so on.
- As per Glassdoor, the average MA History salary for teachers in India is about ₹59,449 monthly. Source
- As per Jobted, the average MA History salary for Professors is about ₹90,620 monthly. Source
- A lecturer earns between ₹2,50,000PA and ₹6,00,000PA. Source
2. Civil Services
Since history connects the past with the current, you can attempt for the civil services, and make a mark in India’s administrative services.
- At the starting level, for example, as a Sub-divisional Magistrate, an Undersecretary, or an Assistant Secretary earns about ₹56100 as basic pay each month.
- As a District Magistrate, or Joint Secretary, or Deputy Secretary, the basic income each month is about ₹78,800.
- In the highest ranks, for example, as a Chief Secretary, or Secretary in the State Secretariat, or Central Secretariat, the monthly basic pay is about ₹2,25,000. Source
3. Producer Of TV Shows And Movies
If you wish to showcase your creative skills and help others know about the rich past of the country and the world, you can become a producer of shows and movies made on these concepts.
- The average salary that a TV or Film Producer earns is about ₹10,00,000/year.
4. Historian And History Expert
You can contribute to the subject further by undertaking research work. You can research, write, and publish your job to make your mark and place in history.
- The MA History Salary of a historian in India is about ₹6,52,001 yearly.
- History experts can look at earning between ₹4,00,000 and ₹6,00,000.
This is an interesting way to follow your passion for history. You can become a professional archaeologist. What can you do? You can be involved in excavations, become a coin expert called numismatist, or an inscription expert called epigraphist.
The Archaeological Survey of India, or ASI, is responsible for the upkeep of more than 3,600 monuments and heritage structures in India. You can fill up different roles as a certified archaeologist – marine archaeologist, palaeontologist, urban archaeologist, exhibition officer, prehistoric archaeologist, environmental archaeologist, documentation specialist, and experimental archaeologist.
Besides ASI, you can work with the Indian Council of Historical Research, National Museums, private museums, cultural galleries, and more.
- An archaeologist earns between ₹3,50,000 and ₹10,00,000 per annum.
- An assistant archaeologist earns about ₹ 3,00,000 per annum. Source
6. Museology And Museum Curators
Both are related to work in museums. In these profiles, too, you need to indulge in lots of research, and manage papers. Curators need to work with specific artefacts, like metals, paintings, terracotta, and more such materials.
- A Museum officer or a curator earns an MA History Salary of approximately ₹ 2,00,000 (in the range of ₹1,50,000 and ₹ 5,00,000 per annum). Source
In this role, you will work in libraries and museums, and be responsible for repairing manuscripts and parched papers.
- The average MA History Salary of an archivist is about ₹5,54,334.
This is another interesting job role. As a librarian, you need to ensure that the library resources are properly arranged, catalogued, and maintained to meet the users’ needs. Libraries are common in schools, colleges, higher institutes, corporates, and more.
- The yearly average salary of a librarian in India is about ₹2,50,951.
10. Tourism Industry as a Guide
This is a job filled with thrill and adventure. Many dare-hearted people are now joining the tourism industry as certified guides to add value to tourists’ experience of a place. Unlike conventional jobs, this one has no time limit. It is the opportunity to see the whole country, and sometimes, even the entire world.
- For an entry-level guide, the salary, including tips, is about ₹ 2,95,000 annually.
- With experience, as you move up to become a senior guide, you can earn more.
10. History Publisher
You can pursue authoring and publishing history books after completing your Masters in History.
You can look at getting employed with a publishing house, or become an independent publisher
India’s average salary for employed publishers lies in the range of ₹ 4,39,000.
11. Journalists (History)
If you love writing and history simultaneously, you can choose to work as a journalist or a reporter with a TV channel or news media. These days, there are online portals, too, where the need to look for trustworthy news on history-related topics is rising.
- You can look at an MA History Salary of about ₹ 3,50,000 at the entry-level.
12. Documentation Specialists
As a documentation specialist, you will be responsible for ensuring that the old artefacts and documents are maintained, stored, and distributed in the right manner.
You would also need to write and collect such ancient scriptures too.
- As a documentation specialist, you can look at earning about ₹ 2,53,305 on an annual basis.
A Macroscopic View of MA History Salary
As per payscale.com, the average salary of a person with a Master of Arts in History in India is about ₹ 4,00,404 annually.
It is an approximate figure because the salary of a professional will depend on:
- The exact designation of the person.
- The experience of the person. The higher the experience, the higher the salary will be, in a typical scenario. So, at the entry-level, the salary might be low in some career options; however, as you spend years in the profession, you will see the salaries hiking up.
- The educational qualification of the person also makes a difference. For example, if you go ahead and study after your Master’s Degree, complete your PhD and doctorate, then your salary can be expected to go higher.
- Work Location plays an important role too. For example, if you are placed at a metro location, your salary can be expected to be higher compared to your placement in a rural area or a small town.
- The institute from where you have completed the course also plays a significant role in your salary.
The good thing is that the perspective about a Masters Degree in History is changing today. The availability of multiple opportunities in this field, and the opening up of varied career choices have opened multi-faceted job openings.
The rise in MA History salary is a welcome change – helping transform conventional notions about the worth of studying a subject like history. This change in outlook helps attract talented people to the careers mentioned above, and make a name for themselves in the niche.