What is a Hackathon?
Companies organize hackathon events to allow tech enthusiasts to participate in software or hardware-related challenges that they must solve within a fixed period (usually two days or more).
The main goal behind hosting such events is to get a fresh set of innovative ideas and, in the process, also find prototypes of products that hold great potential and are production-worthy. It is also a way to discover skilled talent for their teams.
How can Participating in Hackathons help you?
Hackathons are undoubtedly great learning and innovation opportunities. It gives you the required exposure for handling real-world scenarios. Before you step into employment, academic life prepares you for industry life with hands-on projects that help you gain the necessary skills.
Hackathons give you hands-on experience and an extensive idea about how the industry functions. It boosts your confidence level as a professional. Companies need talented individuals, and with your innovative hackathon ideas, you can prove you are worthy. It may just prove to be your big break.
Learn Software Development Courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Executive PG Programs, Advanced Certificate Programs or Masters Programs to fast-track your career.
HealthTech Hackathon Project Ideas
Demand for healthcare is perpetual and always at an all-time high. There is still potential for automating daily health operative processes with technology with technological innovation.
The Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) have revolutionized modern health tech. But, there is always room for innovation and betterment.
Here are a few health-tech hackathon project ideas:
- Virtual health assistant: You can develop a device to help people with acute medical conditions monitor their vitals and health parameters regularly for a healthier life. It should come with features to monitor conditions like diabetes. Plus, it should include medication reminders and SOS alerts to notify family members or emergency contacts in case of health deterioration.
- Remote patient examination: This is another great concept where you can make a mobile app that gives doctors the ability to gain real-time access and monitor the vital signs of a patient from anywhere around the globe. Doctors should be able to determine the patient’s condition and decide if they require hospitalization. It can also help out with general medical assistance or first aid.
Popular Courses & Articles on Software Engineering
ConsumerTech Hackathon Ideas
Smartphones, smart homes, drones, etc., are consumer tech devices that make great platforms for implementing AI and ML-based solutions. Below is a list of a few hackathon ideas related to consumer tech:
- Automate homes and offices: A completely autonomous facility running on smart energy is a brilliant intelligent home solution, but for an office. It will be completely AI-based, using deep learning to recognize behavioral patterns at home or office for better management of energy consumption, thereby lowering operating costs. There can be a feature that can help track employee attendance with the help of CCTV cameras equipped with facial recognition similar to fingerprint scanners and RFID.
- Autonomous Drones: Another brilliant hackathon idea is an AI-powered camera drone programmed with object tracking data via GPS, proximity, and motion sensors. This autonomous drone will not need a human pilot and can help people take professional photos and videos on vacation, which is ideal for solo traveling.
AutoTech Hackathon Ideas
Technology has taken the automobile industry places. Many brands are investing heavily in hybrid technologies that improve the vehicle’s performance and reduce its environmental impact. Here are some excellent auto tech hackathon ideas:-
- Find parking spots: You can create a smartphone app that detects if any parking spots are available in a designated area. This can help drivers concentrate on their driving and reduce fuel consumption by quickly finding a parking spot. You can also include features like speed cameras and speed limit warnings.
- Pedestrian safety: This is another brilliant hackathon idea where you can create a working prototype to help passenger vehicles reduce their speed or halt the car once it detects pedestrians. It can be equipped with proximity, infrared and motion sensors, and AI and GPS to detect pedestrians to reduce the speed depending on the vehicle’s location.
Other Great Hackathon Ideas
- Stock Market with Active Tips for Beginners: Investing in the stock market is a great way to make money if you know how to. Not everyone fully understands the stock market and how it exactly works. Advice from everyone does not help, and you need a live trading app that shows you in real-time the current prices and enables you to determine what to buy or sell. Here is where the hackathon idea comes into being. You can also add features to this app where it recommends buy-sell tips with targets on the same screen.
- Smart Butler: We have seen this concept in movies and read about them in fiction. A smart robot programmed to do simple domestic tasks at home is a nifty futuristic idea. With technology advancing steadily, the future is just a minute away, and presenting this hackathon concept is a great attempt to materialize that idea. You can easily create a smart butler robot utilizing concepts like the IoT, AI, ML, natural language processing, and deep learning.
We can already conclude by saying that participating in Hackathon projects can motivate you to come up with innovative ideas and work on the go, making you industry-ready. It will prepare you to handle real-life situations. If you want to take your career a step further, you can consider enrolling yourself in the top-tier Professional Certificate Program in Data Science for Business Decision Making. program from upGrad.
How do you create a hackathon project?
To effectively build projects at hackathons, you need to start your project using a boilerplate and then proceed to craft requests with API clients. Always utilize free and open-source design assets. Try to collaborate on user-friendly platforms, attend workshops, and leverage mentors.
What are the skills required for a hackathon?
The five mandatory skills for as follows:- Domain Expertise. Designing. Frontend Development. Backend Development. Project Management.