The Doctor of Business Administration, commonly called DBA, is a terminal degree in business administration. It is the highest acquirable business administration qualification. The course provides advanced high-level training to candidates in various business governing principles. If you are looking for DBA admission for 2022, please read further.
DBA is a rigorous research-based program fit for candidates who wish to pursue higher-level business administration qualifications after an MBA. The DBA degree qualifies the candidate to:
- Earn a full-time academic position in the field of business administration.
- Improve organizational effectiveness by developing evidence-based tools and ultimately advance your career.
- Acquire advanced organizational skills.
- Knowledge of management consulting roles.
Course Structure and Format
Universities offering DBA generally require candidates to have some business experience. The candidates embark on the research phase of the program after the successful completion of theoretical coursework. They can specialize in areas like:
- Information Technology
- Management Science
- Organizational Behavior
In the research phase, candidates are expected to submit a well-researched and novel project commonly called a thesis or dissertation. The dissertation should be qualified enough to be published in a peer-reviewed journal, and the work should be defended before an expert panel of examiners.
DBA Curriculum: Key Features
- The curriculum is designed for business professionals and higher-level executives who wish to further their careers and push themselves.
- It presents a rigorous, research-oriented curriculum contrary to the course material and project-based study methods.
- Candidates work under research-active supervisors and advanced business experts.
- The program awards a degree equivalent to a doctorate.
- It can be completed within three years or can be extended to accommodate your professional needs for up to seven years.
Business Management Roles and Responsibilities
Here’s taking a look at the key business management roles and responsibilities:
- Employees must measure and understand how effective leadership can transform the business implementation irrespective of the business location.
- They must create new and insightful business principles and ideas by evaluating and studying the existing business literature.
- One must optimize an enterprise’s effectiveness and success by tactfully justifying ethical choices related to societal issues.
- DBA holders must better understand cultural differences to impact business strategies and effectiveness positively.
- They must create and implement strategies in a complex business environment and align business vision with long-term tactics.
- They are expected to advance business management and leadership by integrating informed and innovative business principles.
- They must create and implement strategic and innovative solutions to business problems by applying quantitative reasoning and methods, thereby aiding organizational sustainability.
- It’s their job to create and present business analysis, research, and recommendation to the intended audience through effective communication.
Why opt for a DBA?
Now that you know what the DBA course is and its key features, let’s discuss why one should opt for this program. There are myriad reasons why a DBA degree will enhance your career.
- Better benefits and potential for negotiation
Since DBA professionals are trained in advanced business principles and have hands-on specialization in various business fields, they will undoubtedly be an asset to any organization. This expertise allows you to negotiate better deals and makes you deserving of better compensation. Read more about DBA salary in India.
- It makes you stand apart
There was a time when candidates with MBA degrees were highly sought after by enterprises. But with an increasingly higher percentage of people opting for an MBA, the market is saturated. Now top companies are looking for candidates with unique skills and higher qualifications. Acquiring a doctorate in business will make you a coveted commodity in the job market and make you stand apart from the crowd.
- Equips you for a rewarding academic career
A DBA degree will enable you to change the course of your business career to an academic one. A DBA degree allows you to pursue a career as a university professor or postdoctoral researcher.
- Acquire advanced business skills and techniques
A DBA degree will give you in-depth and hands-on training to manage high-level leadership positions. Your services can be imparted in C-level organizations, nonprofits, government organizations, and agencies, to name a few. Also, Online DBA programs offer you offer flexibility to manage your work and other commitments.
A DBA holder can specialize in single or multiple fields like public administration, engineering, marketing, project management, and much more in the multidisciplinary business area.
DBA: Scope and Job Roles
There is a wide array of positions one can choose from upon successfully completing a DBA. Some of the most notable career paths are:
- Professor and Postdoctoral Researcher
DBA is a sure-shot way to propel your career to the field of Academics. Universities are in constant need of talented and expert teaching faculty, and if you are passionate about teaching, DBA is the way to go.
Average Salary: ₹52,671 per month
- Market Research Analyst
The financial market is ever-changing and dynamic. A market analyst explores this dynamic nature of the market and explores the products and services consumers are looking for and at what price point.
Average Salary: ₹3,37,726 per month
- C Level Executive
To oversee the operational direction of an organization, you need expert and intuitive high-level executives. Enterprises will always welcome experts who ensure they meet their business objectives. A DBA will equip you with keen insight and skills to meet the standards of this position.
Average Salary: ₹1,30,768 per month
- Economic Analyst
By conducting in-depth research, data analysis, and monitoring consumer trends, an economist plays a crucial role in a country’s economy. Moreover, they are necessary to make the population understand how resources are distributed in society and how to bridge the disparity if any.
Average Salary: ₹5,30,791 per year
MBA and DBA: Key Differences
Master of Business Administration (MBA) is an internationally-recognized educational degree and equips students with in-depth knowledge about business trends and strategies. Upon completion of an MBA degree, a candidate will become familiar with business theories and practices, technology, forecasting, and globalization. In addition, students will be equipped to deal with real-world business problems and lead organizations.
MBA is not a terminal degree in business administration and is somewhat a general managerial overview degree.
The Doctor of business administration educates candidates by carrying out their research. Upon completion of DBA, candidates will gain critical skills like business-oriented critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Most of the time, DBA candidates already possess an MBA. But university admission criteria vary, and some offer admission based on business experience.
DBA is a terminal degree and allows candidates to independently develop and apply new business principles.
DBA and Ph.D. in Business Administration: Key Differences
Ph.D. in Business Administration is a higher degree you can acquire in the field and will help you attain teaching positions in the area. Usually lasting three to five years, it is a research-oriented degree focusing on business evolution, administration, and society’s impact.
A doctor of Business Administration differs from a Ph.D. in several key areas. First, DBA recognizes the candidate’s knowledge in the business industry. Most candidates pursue BBA as a follow-up to an MBA. Second, DBA emphasizes more on the practical aspects of research.
A DBA degree is an excellent opportunity for candidates who wish to further their careers and gain advanced knowledge in business administration. This degree will make you apt for formulating and executing innovative business solutions, exploring and integrating new business trends and technologies, and creating new business principles by intensive research.
Whether you are working for another organization or an entrepreneur yourself, a DBA degree will be a great asset to your arsenal. We hope this article has provided you with enough insight if you wish to pursue a DBA degree.
If you’re looking to pursue a Doctor of Business Administration degree to enhance your career potential, we recommend joining upGrad’s Global Doctor of Business Administration, one of the finest Online Doctorate Programs from the Swiss School of Business Management. The 36-months program comprises 12+ specializations, one-on-one thesis supervision, and international academic support.
Students get access to a global peer network of 40,000 paid learners of 75+ nationalities, paving the way for collaborations with 70+ industry faculty.
What are you waiting for? Book your seat today! Talk to our career counsellor.