A Brief Overview
“Data Science” is the new buzzword among millennials as this multidisciplinary field of computer science offers a wide range of career opportunities. Before getting into the details, let us under what is Data Science. To put it simply, Data Science is an integrative study of data development, identifying patterns and eventually making it an important resource for creating business strategies so a company can stay ahead in the competitive market. It is an amalgamation of data visualization, machine learning, statistics, problem-solving strategies and data analysis.
Diverse careers in Data Science:
- Data Scientists are highly qualified professionals who can analyse the type of data to find new solutions, opportunities and also make assumptions on the future of the data. They mostly help in building machine learning models. Statistics show that the demand for Data Scientists is high as there are not enough skilled professionals who can work in this field. With their vivid knowledge, they can experiment with the data trends and make new changes in programming and management. You must have all-round skills like data visualization, understanding probability and can work on various data tools to be a data scientist. The salary of a data scientist is also high; therefore, it is a good career choice in this field.
- Most people who are proficient in data analysis start their careers as Data Analysts and then they gradually level up. The main task of a data analyst is to review the data of a given project and identify the strength and flaws. One needs to have skills in programming languages like Python, data visualization and cleaning. This the most chosen career as over time, one can be promoted to a senior data analyst or expand his knowledge and become a professional of an associated field.
- Data Engineering is another coveted career in this stream. The main focus of a data engineer is on software development. An assigned data analyst has the job of evaluating the sales, market performances and report them to the data scientists to fix the issues that can affect the sales or revenue. Knowledge of advanced SQL queries and Python, the capability to build data pipelines are some of the criteria to be a data engineer. With more experience and skill, one can be promoted to a senior Data Engineer.
- Data Architect is an important professional post in the concerned field. If you are into data engineering and have a keen interest in controlling the data storage system of your company, then Data Wire Architecture can be a really good career for you. To get selected as one, you need to have a strong command over SQL knowledge and experience in the management of data and other technical skills based on your specialisation.
- Machine Learning Specialist can be an excellent career choice in the domain of data science. In simple terms, Machine Learning Engineer or Specialist is a data scientist who has specialised in the field of machine learning. Some companies also hire software engineers who can aid in deploying the changes or updates made by a data scientist. One must have a firm grip in Python, Cloud Computing, Spark and basic software engineering skills to work in this field.
- Business Analysis is another career option which is in high demand. The foremost task of a business data analyst is to examine current business trends. A business analyst needs to have programming skills and good command in data science along with business skills.
- Quantitative Analysts are experts in data science who mainly focus on statistical analysis where machine learning can be used to figure out financial issues and other market risks.
- Become a System Analyst with your knowledge in data science. Solve problems related to administration and organizational by careful examination of problems and send the details to the data scientists to solve them.
- One can also become a Marketing Analyst and look over the marketing data to check their effectiveness and also work to promote their products in the market and provide information related to the company’s position in the market. Statistics and studies show that there is an upsurge in career opportunities in the branch of Data Science as it has a promising future. Freelance data experts are also contributing to the growth, popularity, and innovation in this area while simultaneously gaining more experience.
- The Database Administrator is responsible for the proper functioning of all the databases of an enterprise. They are also responsible for database backups and recoveries. The data science career path toward database administrator is sought-after.
- Another data scientist career path one can take is of a Statistician. They have a sound understanding of statistical norms. They help to create new methodologies and norms for the engineers to apply.
- Another path to data science is Data and Analytics Manager. They are responsible for assigning their duties to the team based on their skills and expertise. They develop the data analysis strategies, research and implement the analytics solution, and are also responsible for leading a management team for data analytics.
Explore our Popular Data Science Courses
Top skills required for Data Science
- Statistical Analysis
- Data Wrangling
- Deep Learning
- Data Visualisation
Top Data Science Skills to Learn to upskill
|SL. No||Top Data Science Skills to Learn|
|1||Data Analysis Online Courses||Inferential Statistics Online Courses|
|2||Hypothesis Testing Online Courses||Logistic Regression Online Courses|
|3||Linear Regression Courses||Linear Algebra for Analysis Online Courses|
Our learners also read: Top Python Free Courses
upGrad’s Exclusive Data Science Webinar for you –
How upGrad helps for your Data Science Career?
The structure of the Data Science Courses designed to facilitate you in becoming a true talent in the field of Data Science, which makes it easier to bag the best employer in the market. Register today to begin your learning path journey with upGrad!
If you are curious to learn about data science, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s PG Diploma in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.