Talend is a unified architecture that meets the data integration and governance needs of modern businesses. This open-source platform is helping companies become more data-driven by turning data into valuable insights and aiding in real-time decision making.
Talend architecture simplifies and automates big data integration projects as its skeletal system facilitates structured data flows. To make optimum use of this software, you should have a complete understanding of its internal and functional architecture. So, let’s begin our learning mission!
Talend is a vendor that provides multiple software and services for the following:
- Big data
- Data integration
- Data management
- Cloud storage
- Data quality
- Data preparation
- Enterprise application integration
Talend stands out as a leading solution for big data and cloud integration because of its rich features. We have listed some of them below:
- Results in faster development and deployment by automating business needs and maintaining tasks for users
- Talend aids the performance of computationally intensive data quality tasks at an infinite scale
- Using Talend brings down costs as the tools are available for free
- It is an open-source platform backed by a vast community whose members regularly share information and experiences
- Talend architecture is reliable, intuitive, scalable, and hence, future proof
Today, Talend occupies a leadership position in the integration space. Industry analysts like Gartner, Inc. have recognized it in its “Magic Quadrant for Data Integration Tools” report. And the above characteristics have convinced us that Talend is here to stay. Since entering the market in 2005, Talend has released several products to address varied business requirements. In the next section, we will look at some of these products.
Reviewing Talend products
The Talend Product Suites contain three different kinds of products, namely Talend Enterprise, Talend Open Studio, and Talend Platforms. Let’s look at them one by one.
1. Talend Enterprise: The data integration is based on the Extract, Load, Transform or ELT architecture that can leverage both the target and the source. Talend Enterprise can connect to over 900 databases, files, and applications for the integration tasks. It also has the ability to support complex workflows, team-based collaboration, and remote deployment. Enterprise products are focused on enhancing productivity, which makes them a preferred choice for commercial use, especially among medium-sized businesses.
2. Talend Open Studio: It offers services like big data, data integration, data profiling, cloud integration, etc. It is a graphical user interface with over a thousand pre-built connectors. Open Studio is the best product to get started with Talend as it comes with almost all the data processing functions. It is a 360-degree solution based on the Extract, Transform, Load or ETL architecture.
3. Talend Platform: It helps in importing raw data from varied sources to the data warehouse, and further exporting it to different systems. Talend platforms can be used for linking multiple sources and aggregating the data from email marketing, CRM, and online transaction systems, optimizing the strategic decision-making process of the sales teams.
Also read: Top Hadoop Interview Questions & Answers
Since Talend Open Studio is open-sourced and free to download, it has emerged as the most widely used product. Hence, we have explained it in more detail below.
Examining Talend architecture (Open Studio)
In today’s big data ecosystem, Talend Open Studio or TOS has emerged as the go-to software tool for data integration. Now, let us dig into its architecture and explore the main components that constitute TOS.
- Clients: The Clients block has one or more Talend studios and web browsers that use the same or different machines. Irrespective of the data complexity or volumes, you can carry out integration processes from the Studio. It lets you work on any project authorized to you. The web browser allows you to connect to the Talend Administration Center, which is based remotely.
- Talend Server: It is a web-based application server that enables the administration and management of all projects. The administration database includes everything from access rights, user accounts, and project authorizations.
- Database: The database component encompasses Administration, Monitoring, and Audit. This part not only manages access rights, user accounts, authorization, etc. but also evaluates the jobs to achieve an efficient decision support system.
- Workspace Directory: This is where all the project folders are stored. At least one workspace directory is required for every connection. If you do not want to work with the default directory, Talend gives you the option of choosing from various workspace directories.
- Repository: It is the storage area that is used by TOS tools to gather data for explaining business models, designing jobs, among other things.
With this, we have given you a basic introduction about Talend, detailed how the talend architecture works, and also discussed its functional blocks. Talend products are touted as the next-generation tools that hold tremendous promise in the IT market, being chosen worldwide by companies of all sizes. Therefore, this in-demand architecture is recommended for anyone who wants to master IT technologies. The above information will surely help you begin your learning journey!
If you’re interested to learn more about Talend, Hadoop & big data, data science, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s PG Diploma in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.