In the last few years, the demand for python has grown exponentially around the world. Currently, there are 8.2 million Python developers, which outpaces the number of Java users. Additionally, there are over 9,000 remote python roles available on job sites like ZipRecruiter and another 6,000 jobs on the Glassdoor platform. When you are a beginner in this field, it can seem challenging to prepare all by yourself. So, we have put together a python resume guide to help you with your career development journey.
Before we start with the resume building tips, let us first give you an overview of the skills that a python developer must-have.
Python Developer Skills
Typically, Python developers are responsible for the back-end or server-side of software projects. The code, design, deploy, and debug software tools, helping organizations manage their technological framework effectively. This work requires knowledge of the following things:
- Core python programming (Data structures, variables, data types, file and exception handling).
- Web frameworks (Django, Flask, etc.).
- ORM libraries and object-oriented programming techniques.
- Data science (Familiarity with SQL and python packages, such as NumPy, Scikit Learn, etc.).
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- Analytical skills (with respect to algorithms, web development, and so on).
Guide to Resume Building for Python Developers
Entry-level python job listings have everything from C++ to Node.js under “desired skills”. And senior python developers are expected to contain all these things in addition to some advanced competencies, usually highlighted in the experience section. Thus, the layout of your CV or resume needs to fit the job needs and display your profile accordingly.
You can choose any of the following layouts to showcase your strengths and experience:
- Functional format: Emphasizes the skills that are relevant to the job at hand
- Reverse chronological: Focuses on your professional experience by organizing it in a timeline, representing your story
The reverse chronological layout works best for the jobs where candidates are expected to have some experience in python development, even if it is an internship. Applications made using the functional layout are believed to be more risk-prone unless one proceeds with caution or exhibits tremendous creativity.
As a rule of thumb, a python resume should contain some standard details, such as your name, email, phone number, current location, website or GitHub profile. You should follow up this information with a brief profile summary. This section should apprise hiring agents of your total experience, proficiencies, and notable achievements.
Here are some other things that you should keep in mind while writing a python developer resume:
- Customize your CV and align it with the job and organizational needs.
- Highlight the quality of your code and describe the scope of your work in relation.
- Add examples of open-source projects, research work, and publications, if any.
- Include only those parts that relate to the python developer role, capping the work experience at your top 5.
- Use concise bullet points instead of long, winding paragraphs.
- Adopt a consistent style of writing throughout your resume, using action verbs, and keeping all points specific and tangible.
- Proof-read and check for grammatical errors. And If possible, get a third person’s review before you finally submit your application.
Incorporating these tips would surely result in a winning resume that takes you right into the shortlist for a standard python developer post. However, some openings may want to hire someone who can wear multiple hats at once.
Then, how can you build a powerful resume that not only stands out in traditional enterprises but leaves a lasting impression in modern work environments as well?
The answer is simple: structure it in a way that communicates a breadth of experience.
You can do this by including a list of technical and soft skills under separate sections. Here are some examples:
- Technical skills: Azure, MongoDB, Jumpy, Scipy, Angular, Unit Testing (In addition to the other skills mentioned earlier)
- Soft Skills: Team Leadership, Communication, Project Collaboration, Research skills, etc.
That said, the right layout or format would not get you very far if the content inside isn’t relevant and noteworthy. So, we have put together a sample resume to guide you better.
Python Developer Resume Sample
A python developer with 5+ years of extensive experience in Flask, Django, eCommerce, storage, and finance domains. Received the ‘Employee of the Year’ Award while working with Walmart.
Senior Python Developer, Walmart (2017-Present)
- Developed back-end components of a web application, communicating with clients to identify and deliver goals.
- Maintained large databases and configured servers, bringing down the maintenance expenses by 10% within a year.
- Worked on data protection and security improvement for new user information solutions.
- Trained, supervised, and provided technical support to new team members, coworkers, and clients.
- Awarded ‘Employee of the Year Award’ for performing all duties assigned and exceeding the project objectives.
Python Developer, Capgemini (2015-2017)
- Developed interfaces with Python web frameworks and ORM toolkits like SQLAlchemy
- Demonstrated strong client-service orientation by delivering apps for multiple platforms, including desktop and mobile
- Recognized as the ‘Best Scrum Team’ for implementing a project on creating database schemas representing business support processes
- 02/2019-03/2020: Master of Computer Science (M.Sc.), Liverpool John Moores University & IIIT-Bangalore
GPA: 3.96 (Top 5% of the Program)
- 06/2012-06/2015: Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), Chandigarh University
Graduated with Distinction (Grade A equivalent)
- Lottery calculator application: A PowerBall-like app that can calibrate users’ chances of winning the lottery, given some rules (total number of balls available in the game, number of balls one can choose, and so on). The project involved creating a Graphical User Interface using the Tkinter module of Python.
Soft Skills: Teamwork, interpersonal communication, customer service
Certificates: Certified Python Developer, Python Institute
Languages: English, Hindi, Spanish
Reading, Photography, Teaching Volunteer, Member of Physics Society, Computer Club, Business Club.
So, there you have it – some useful tips and tricks to construct a distinctive resume for your next job application!
In a nutshell, we covered:
- Resume format selection and why a reverse chronological order works better
- Components of a resume header
- Essentials of a profile summary
- Best practices for showcasing work experience
- Other highlights, including the skills section, achievements and certifications
Whether you are already applying to python developer posts, or you are just a curious student interested in this field, the above python resume guide map can help you refine your job hunting efforts, and possibly, get hired to your dream role!
If you are curious to learn about data science, check out IIIT-B & upGrad’s Executive PG Program in Data Science which is created for working professionals and offers 10+ case studies & projects, practical hands-on workshops, mentorship with industry experts, 1-on-1 with industry mentors, 400+ hours of learning and job assistance with top firms.