Angular and AngularJS are both web application developer languages. While Angular is based on Typescript as an alternative, AngularJS is often used to develop web-based dynamic applications. Angular is the upgraded version that is frequently used today. A few of its key attributes include ease of use, having an advanced modular construct, and quick speed compared to AngularJS.
Evolution off Angular Versions
In 2010, Google released Angular 1 or AngularJS. It attracted a lot of popularity and support immediately since it was very helpful in turning static HTML pages into interactive interfaces.
After Angular 2, they designed Angular 4, 5, 6 and 7. Angular 4 became the most popular of these versions thanks to its preference and backward compatibility.
Angular vs AngularJS: Differences
1. Componential differences of Angular and AngularJS
Here are the two main differences:
- Angular uses a levelled-up hierarchy of components, whereas AngularJS relies on directives.
2. How is the use of directives different between Angular and AngularJS?
Both AngularJS and Angular use directives, but in different ways. Angular has more standard directives. On the other hand, AngularJS contains a pack of them. So users have to be careful while using the directives. For example, when one wants to build a dual binding in AngularJS, they’ll have to rely on the ng-model. Contrarily, ng-bing is used for a one-way binding.
In Typescript Angular, one will only find the model. The symbol used for one-way binding is: “”, and for two-way binding, we can use the characters: “[()]” and “” for property binding. We can use “()” for event binding purposes.
Architectural Structure of AngularJS vis-a-vis Angular
1. Angular JS
The framework of AngularJS has an MVC or a model-view-controller that works as the main component by managing logic, data, rules, and the behaviour of the applications. The breakdown of MVC is:
- Model: the place which collects all the stored data
- View: The output on the information in the reviewed model
- Controller: The part that receives the input, converts them into commands, and sends this processed info to the model and the view.
When it comes to Angular, it uses directives with templates in the form of components. There are two main kinds of directives in using Angular:
- Structural directives: they alter the entire layout of the DOM’s by replacing the internal elements.
- Attributive directives: these change the behavior of the DOM and also the appearance of the elements.
The difference in Mobile support: AngularJS vs Angular
While AngularJS fails to provide mobile support, Angular supports mobile applications.
1. Speed and Performance
AngularJS has a two-way binding feature that ultimately decreases the time and effort required for construction. Angular has a framework that is upgraded to an improved structure, providing better speed and performance.
2. Tool support
- Angular uses the CLI or the Command Line Interface, which reduces the time while creating the applications.
- AngularJS, on the other hand, is a framework that relies on third-party tools like WebStorm, IDE, etc.
The advantages of Angular over AngularJS
The advantages of angular over angular JS are mentioned below-
1. Dynamic loading
Angular has a combination of several asynchronous templates and additional programming support.
Angular’s main functionality has moved to various modules that run on a faster and lighter core.
3. Ahead-of-Time or AOT
Angular had CLI or Command Line Interface, which helps it to serve and create smoother applications. It also engages in project building and provides a more accessible interface for testing.
The architecture of Angular helps in dividing the logical and functional components from each other.
6. The dependency injection factor
The best part is that Angular is based on one-way change detection. Instead of using directives similar to AngularJS, Angular uses a hierarchical dependency injection that boosts the framework’s performance considerably.
Angular is primarily written in TypeScript, but it also has another language choice out of Dart, ES5, ES6. These are also used for developing codes.
The pathway used by the Angular framework is quite simple and user-friendly. It can interpret a URL as a directive and even navigate further into a client-view interface.
Advantages of AngularJS over Angular
- AngularJS’s Model View Controller speeds up application development through data binding.
- It uses a two-way data binding process and POJO Models, which offers a conclusive interface, enabling users to use fewer codes in the projects.
- AngularJS also has a continuously updated and automated unit testing feature.
- AngularJS also provides a very comprehensive solution for all front-end developments. This is because AngularJS doesn’t depend on any additional plugins or other frameworks.
- The use of HTML as AngularJS’s declarative language makes it quite intuitive to use.
- The AngularJS framework has reusable components.
- Simpler architecture and smoother functionality concerning mobile and web app development make AngularJS a fantastic framework.
Upskill with upGrad
If you are a software developer and want to top up your qualifications with additional certification to fetch the best paying software engineering job in India, give a shot to upGrad’s Executive PG Program in Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence course. These days, due to the heavy reliance of all sectors on computers and software, computer engineering knowledge comes in handy for engineers of all sorts.
upGrad promises overall development powered by peer-to-peer learning across a global learner base of 40,000+ students. This 12 months course has a well-structured curriculum; learners enjoy interactive live sessions with top instructors and industry experts.
Despite the differences in usability, compatibility & speed, both AngularJS and Angular have their respective benefits. Google has maintained both frameworks in a way that has allowed both to continue to have popular community support. Many users still prefer Angular due to its dynamic ability to create mobile and web applications and its single-page feature of HTML and TypeScript. Essentially, it depends on what the developer needs the applications for.
What are some AngularJS-based web applications?
Forbes, Wikiwand, and JetBlue are some examples of web applications based on AngularJS.
What are some Angular-based Web applications?
Youtube, LinkedIn, and Twitter are all web-based applications made through Angular.
What are some Angular-based mobile apps?
Gmail, Upwork, and PayPal are the top three mobile apps built on Angular.