When discussing the career path of software engineers, it is imperative to talk about the variety of roles the field offers, each requiring a specialized skill set and knowledge of unique methodologies and applications of software engineering.
Here are the top career paths for software engineers and their respective salaries in the United States:
1. Software Developer Software developers research, design, develop and manage software programs. They test and evaluate new programs before implementing them. They manage existing programs by identifying areas that require attention or modification and subsequently develop the necessary improvements. Deployment of software tools is done by developers who work as a team (including software engineers, UX designers, BI developers, etc.).
Salary: The average salary of a Software Developer in the US is $50,889 annually.
2. Full-Stack Developer Full Stack developers provide software solutions, and design architectures for both clients and servers. They design and build the front page of applications with impressive visual designs. In addition to these roles, they develop and maintain databases and applications, generate powerful APIs, debug, identify technical glitches, and upgrade existing software. They also manage and handle software security and data protection.
Salary: The average salary of a Full-Stack Developer in the US is $106,010 annually.
3. Application DeveloperApplication developers respond and act to project requests by analyzing business ideas, models, and user requirements. They divide the project into several parts and delegate work to all the teams working on the project. Also, they analyze the performance and carry out trials to ensure a smooth user experience.
Salary: The average salary of an Application Developer in the US is $81,828 annually.
4. Web developer Web developers design, code, and modify websites from the initial layout stage to the final functional stage. They create unique websites that provide a great user experience with comfortable navigation. In addition, they develop software platforms across various product units.
Salary: The average salary of a Web developer in the US is $69,434 annually.
A few other popular career paths for Software Engineers and their corresponding average salaries:
- Back End Developer: $118,304 annually
- Front End Developer: $103,513 annually
- System engineer: $102,102 annually
- IT Security Specialist: $106,143 annually
- Cloud Engineer: $120,297 annually