Node JS vs Java is a prominent topic of discussion. It can cause a lot of confusion to newcomers and that’s why we have prepared this article. You’ll understand the difference between Node JS and Java after you’re done with this article.
However, before we make a head-to-head comparison of the two, let’s look at each of their distinct qualities:
What Is Node JS?
Node JS enables developers to run their code on the server-side and gives them a more efficient method to write light and scalable scripts. Node JS is among the must-haves for backend developers. Backend development refers to server-side development in web development.
It entered the market in 2009 and has become quite popular thanks to its accessibility and usefulness. Node JS is widely popular among full-stack developers as you can use it for both back-end and front-end development.
You can use Node JS to write real-time applications. Apart from these benefits, Node JS offers scope for mobile application development, which has become one of the biggest industries in the tech sector.
Node JS has plenty of other features that have helped it grow in the industry.
Highlights Of Node JS
- Node JS provides you with extensive server-side capabilities. You can reply to HTTP requests, access the database from a machine, and listen to traffic networks all at the same time. Its offered advantages make it among the most sought-after libraries in the web development sector.
- Moreover, they keep your code simple as you write fewer lines of code, making it easier for you to come back later and review the same. If you’re looking for a solution to build scalable and fast server-side applications, Node JS would be the best option for you.
- Node JS is among the most popular libraries on the web. Some of the notable websites that use Node JS include PayPal, AliExpress, and Twitter. From Fortune 500 companies to startups, Node JS has uses everywhere.
What Is Java ?
In simple terms, Java is a widely popular programming language. It is a general-purpose, object-oriented, class-based language which was created by James Gosling. A lot of its syntax is from C++, another prominent Object-Oriented and class-based programming language. Learn more about Career In Java
Developers use Java with the principle of write once and run anywhere. It is portable, so a program based in Java can run similarly on various hardware and operating systems.
It ships as Java Development Kit (or JDK in short0 which comes with several components that allow you to run a java program. Keep in mind, however, that you wouldn’t need to use all of those components to run a java program, you can do so with only a select few. It arrived in the industry 25 years ago in May 1995.
Since then, it has garnered a lot of support and has become one of the most popular programming languages on the planet. Here are some additional highlights of Java that would help you understand the difference between Node JS and Java:
Highlights Of Java
- It offers excellent support for Graphic User Interface (GUI), networking, and concurrency. A lot of frameworks are built on Java, a great example of which is Spring, a web development framework that has become quite popular recently.
- Java requires you to have the required JRE on your operating system which you can get from their official website.
- JRE stands for Java Runtime Environment where the compiler first converts the Java source code into bytecode then the Java Virtual Machine (Java Virtual Machine), made within JRE, would convert the bytecode into machine code.
- One of the most prominent advantages of Java is that the code written in this language can run almost anywhere. It’s probably why it is among the most prevalent programming languages among developers, competing directly with Python and C.
Difference Between Node JS And Java
By now, you must have an idea of Node JS vs Java and the prominent differences between these two.
This section of our article will go a little further and help you understand the key points of difference between Node JS and Java.
1. Java is a server-side programming language and it doesn’t do anything in the front-end or the browser. On the other hand, you can use Node JS on the server-side as well as the client-side easily.
3. Java is excellent for creating complex and concurrent applications based on the web. On the other hand, Node JS is suitable for small-sized projects.
4. Java uses multithreading but Node JS doesn’t use this functionality as effectively as Java.
6. The most prominent use of Java is in developing advanced web applications with an available framework created through Java. On the other hand, Node JS is the most suitable for real-time collaborative applications such as Google Docs.
7. Java is perfect for large projects that have a lot of concurrencies. Node JS can’t handle the thread as effectively as Java. It is one of the biggest negative points of this library.
8. Java is among the most popular programming languages in the world competing directly with Python and C. Node is a framework based on Java and can get efficient parallelism that’s much different from concurrency.
9. Java can’t run without JDK (Java Development Kit) which consists of the runtime environment and Java Compiler. You can install Node JS through a downloadable archive file.
10. Java can take care of tasks that are CPU intensive and require significant computing power. On the other hand, Node JS is suitable for I/O bound tasks such as media streaming, real-time chat, and real-time collaboration.
11. Some of the popular frameworks based in Java include Tapestry, Struts, Spring, and JSF. Node JS has various frameworks including Partial JS, Sails JS, and Express JS.
Also Read: Node JS Vs Python
Node JS is a framework whereas Java is a programming language. Node JS would work fantastically with certain projects and Java wouldn’t. Similarly, there would be projects that Java can handle much more effectively than Node JS. If you’re a JS developer, then Node JS would be a fantastic choice for you as it’s one of the most efficient frameworks.
On the other hand, Java has its extensive frameworks and libraries that enable you to work on web development projects with much ease.
There is a lot of difference between Node JS and Java. We hope that our article on Node JS vs Java helped you understand those differences. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this article, please let us know through the comment section below.
If you’re interested to learn more about full-stack software development, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s PG Diploma in Full-stack Software Development which is designed for working professionals and offers 500+ hours of rigorous training, 9+ projects, and assignments, IIIT-B Alumni status, practical hands-on capstone projects & job assistance with top firms.
Prepare for a Career of the Future